PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rather than use many pipe cleaners, simply flush out the chamber and airway with hot water, and use a wad of paper to dry the chamber and remove bits of tobacco that may be adhering to the wall. Pipe cleaner for the airway, and you're good to go. A freshly washed pipe can be smoked right away. (Moisture isn't absorbed, and after a rinse and dry, the pipe is drier than when you just finished your smoke.)

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Great advice.
I used the “pencil and sandpaper” technique and it worked great! I was able to get an even and smooth chamber again so now my pipe tool/tamper fits! :)
Thanks for all the advice. As always, you guys have a wealth of information for us noobs :worship:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
No prob, bubba, always glad to help you, regardless of *whose* advice you take. Just don't believe that "2-3" = "many" [unless you're talking rattlesnakes or atomic bombs }:)]. -evyl grin-

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I would non the less buy a reamer. if you keep up with the hobby, a reamer is a good tool to have.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm with the wipe the bowl out with a paper towel and pipe cleaner after smoking crowd.

I also buy "estate" pipes from junktique shops. My tool of choice for cleaning out the old cake is a small pocket knife that I have ground the tip into a rounded shape and the sharp edge flat to where it won't cut paper.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Stick to pie. But, I am glad that you got it worked out. You'll want to examine the cause, if you changed your cleaning habits or tobacco. I personally wipe with a folded over pipe cleaner in a U-shape after every bowl. You carbonize but don't get a thick cake, but you'll still need to ream back every few years, potentially, this way. Good luck finding your way continuing the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.