PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I posted the following review on TR.com. I really got a kick out of the tin art on this one and even bought a t-shirt with the design.
The C&D catalog describes Purple Cow as "A classic blend from Bob Runowski. Bright VA ribbon is added to a Burley base, then complemented by a dash of Latakia and tasty maduro cigar leaf." This was a good sign for me as I have never smoked a Bob Runowski blend that I didn't like and some of his creations are among my all time favorites.
Purple Cow is available in 2, 8, and 16 oz. tins and has a rather humorous logo with a pipe smoking purple cow and a farmer with an astonished look on his face. I tested the 2 oz. tin. The cut is a rather wide ribbon. There are several shades of brown and some black in the tobacco.
PC seems to like a rather firm pack in the pipe, perhaps because of the cut. One charring light gets it going, then the smoker is treated to a mix of the burley flavor with the Latakia in the background, perhaps not as prominent as in a tobacco like Morley's Best. The VA is there but plays a minor role, however this one can nip your tongue if puffed too fast. The maduro leaf appears to become more prominent as the tobacco is smoked down and adds a cigar note to the mix. PC burns well and down to the bottom of the pipe with no dottle.
I did require a few relights while smoking it, but that is par for the course with me, I've never been a "one match" smoker. PC was smoked in six different pipes and seemed to prefer larger ones, particularly my XL Lannes Johnson.
Overall I enjoyed Purple Cow and will definitely purchase it again. Bob, you did good!
Scores for Purple Cow: Taste-16 of 20; lighting and burn- 7 of 10; value- 8 of 10. 31 pts. gets Purple Cow a high *** rating
Smokey

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
FYI, there is a book on marketing named Purple Cow. The thesis is that someone will drive past hundreds of cows without a glance. But if he sees a purlpe cow, he will stop and study it. Therefore the product being sold has to have something about it that makes people stop.
I think that C&D have done a great job of marketing their product. That is why they have such cool tin art and names for their blends. Really, who would get excited about a blend called Blend #306, my favorite.
Winton

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I am about to open my first tin of Cow and will post after having consumed a few bowls.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Since I enjoy cigar leaf in my blends - I would appreciate an update. House of Calabash - Steven Books, blender, has a new cigar leaf blend that is pretty good. He uses pre - embargo leaf from cuban cigars that he got a deal on - at least that's the impression I got. All in all a very stout smoke.
Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts on C&D Purple Cow.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Update on Purple Cow -- my how time flies. I've have made this my regular tobacco for quite a while now (it replaced Big N Burley) which I smoked for years. Impressions so far -- it's good, full, satisfying for those who like nicotine. The latakia is used sparingly but can be tasted; the burley is full and not exactly the thing you want to start your day with, unless you enjoy a pot of Turkish coffee first thing in the morning. I've been smoking Crowley's Best as well, which seems to be a lower-strengthed version of Purple Cow, a nice intro to the day.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I bought a tin awhile back, and it made me want to vomit. Worst blend I've smoked. I'd rather light up Paladin Black Cherry. Different strokes for different folks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The constituent tobaccos sound like a winner blend, and given the right touch of proportion.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My experience with Purple Cow was a mixed one. At first I thought it was ok, maybe needed to grow on me a bit. But the further through the tin I got, the more it didn't set well with me. I found the smoke to get rather harsh on my pallate and got to where I wouldn't finish a bowl anymore.
I really wanted to like it but the Cow and I had to part ways.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I'm a big fan of this one. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The biggest nicotine hit of any blend I've ever smoked by leaps and bounds.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I bought a tin of this while in the US over the summer and opened it over Christmas. It is a light English blend , no doubts there but i agree with some of the comments that this blend is very harsh on the throat, smokes too dry in my opinion and the Vitamin-N hit is huge. I will smoke a few more bowls o it in different pipes to see if that helps before i make my final judgment, but at the moment i would say that if you want a mild English (with Latakia) with cigar leaf, then James Fox ;s Bankers Mixture is the way to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The review sounds perfect. I am a fan of Virginia burley blends with other judicious additions.

However, clearly not everyone enjoys it. I have found when I do mixes of Va, burley, cavendish,

and maybe a little lat, or Turkish, it is usually pretty pleasant. I do think Va and burley is a

strong base and is often pleasing. For me, burley opens out the Virginia and other tobaccos in

a way that little else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.