PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've never thought in terms of a 50 year supply, or aging any tobacco for 50 years. Based on the very old tobaccos that I've sampled, I can't see a good reason to ever deliberately do that.
I may have a 10 to 15 year supply, more or less, based on the amount that I smoke. And tobaccos don't require a 10 to 20 year cellaring process to be worthy to smoke. They're smokable when available for sale. And, given my age, that should be a more than adequate supply, though if the family genetics are fully in force, I could be needing a 35 year supply.
The means of preserving tobaccos over longer periods of time are getting more and more examination as more people cellar for various reasons. In the process, certain prior assumptions about cellaring are being challenged as more time and experiences are gathered. One doesn't need a 50 year horizon to be concerned about square and rectangular tins providing protection. 10 years or less will do.
And really, when one stops to think about it, why would it make any sense to believe that anything held together with an uneven and slightly imperfect vacuum seal at the beginning, would ever hold up long term. They weren't designed with that intention. So we're finding tins with dried out contents at 7 years and a higher percentage as additional years are added. And we're finding out that Esoterica bags can have pinholes from folding.
So one either accepts that certain types of product packaging aren't designed or intended to be a long term storage medium and acts to deal with that or one doesn't and hopes for the best. But the exchange of information concerning problems and solutions can be a good thing.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I used to encase my cellared tins in epoxy. For the last several years, though, I've been storing them in stainless steel pressure tanks, filled with nitrogen, and kept at a steady 70°f in my climate-controlled warehouse. So I really don't know if I have a mold issue, or not.
Chinese-Good-Quality-Cryogenic-Storage-Tank-for-Lar-Lox-Lin-with-Valves.jpg
Dan's Pipe Tobacco Storage Shed

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmm. The 14th barrel from the right, middle level, is bulging. You may have a mold problem!
It looks like the warehouse where Mike and his German crew live and play on Better Call Saul, while they secretly build a meth lab under the commercial laundry.

May 4, 2015
They weren't designed with that intention. So we're finding tins with dried out contents at 7 years and a higher percentage as additional years are added.
Agreed that long term storage wasn't on the mind of designers of the tins. It does beg questions about C&D's Cellar series though, many of which suggest estimated peaks as high as 15 years. The can style seem to hold up better than the "vacuum-sealed" style, though.
Before the aging and cellaring craze of recent years and this line of C&D that has aging in mind, were there any other releases specifically marketed as being ideal for aging?

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I just want to say that regardless of the above, I am really excited about the next release of Red Flake. After reading reviews, I'm itching to get a tin or a few for my stash.
And as for the tins, I think they have changed within the last year or so, because they feel a little flimsier than my couple of older tins. I have had two pop their seals, one in route to my house, the other while in my storage container. Something changed and I hope that gets remedied as well.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Agreed that long term storage wasn't on the mind of designers of the tins. It does beg questions about C&D's Cellar series though, many of which suggest estimated peaks as high as 15 years. The can style seem to hold up better than the "vacuum-sealed" style, though.
Greg Pease has said that he blends with the idea that the blend will improve with age, so I suppose that's one example. Other than the "Cellar Series", which I kind of consider a gimmick, I don't know of any other releases promoting the idea that they'll peak and be ready for your grandchildren to enjoy after you're gone.
The canister type tins hold up pretty well, as do the round metal tins, since they can distribute the seal pressure evenly. They should bring back cutter tops.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'm kind of in the middle of you guys. Been at it for about 4ish years. My general MO was to accumulate aged stuff the first years so I would have a base to start from. I bought a ton off EBAY about 3-4 years ago when prices were cheaper. It was a period when the tobacco sales were frowned upon by EBAY and so prices were low. I was buying >10 year old va's for 15- 20$ a tin. Beacon, Aurora, 1776. Older CC was under $30 back then.
Once I had a good base of aged stuff, I then layered in my favorites in quantity.
My cellar is a mix of 50+ cans of 10 years and older

100ish cans 5+ years

A crapton in the 2-5 year category.
Now I smoke a mix of new and old. Every year I get some xtra cans of my go-to's. i am not looking for new blends as I said in the other thread, but there have been a couple I have added this year. That system should keep me in 5+ year old baccy until the cows come home while not paying for today's silly prices for aged cans.
I have moved most of my square cans + older Pease barrel cans into jars. I have 10 square Orlik GF and 5 F&T CVP that I am not going to move becasue those cans always seem fine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
fol - You were the man with a plan and you did that brilliantly. I also bought "vintage" stuff years ago when that market was still young and prices still made some kind of sense. Not on the same level as you as I already had a fair amount of vintage stuff from B&M's and I don't smoke enough to need a mountain of tobacco. Jarring that older Pease rather than leaving it in the crappy tins C&D used is an unfortunate necessity.
Woods I want to thank you for your help in supplying good sources for heavy gauge food grade Mylar bags for storing those crappy square and rectangular tins. Woods has been quite the evangelist with the regard to making an extra effort when it comes to long term storage.
It's all a guess, whether any of this helps or not, until time proves it one way or another. But I'm not a fan of smoking withered mummy dust or pissing money down the toilet, so I'll make the effort.

I'm a little late in clarifying this, but my comment about it being a forum cliche was not pointed at Sable's comment, but towards those that seem to make it a matter of mission to suggest that "all" tins be emptied into jars. If you want to make mission to spread awareness of rectangle tins, then that is honorable. But, we get disconnects for the "either/or" folks on the forums that misconstrue stuff. The folks that just hear all or none, black or white, left or right. All burley ages bad, all tins need to be jarred, all aromatics are goopy...

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks Sabes,
I've saved so much money with some of the helpful tips you guys have shared. First few brews are on me if you go to Chicago next year.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse and Michael,
I love the aesthetic of tins. Just as I love reading a newspaper, washing my hands with real soap and heating my home with a wood fire. To that end, I am not averse to sealing up tins in that modern material called Mylar, if that will ensure my enjoyment of the pipe tobacco blends that I love, into the years ahead. But, I've also sampled enough vintage tins to know that the vast majority didn't need any additional protection, and that almost every tin that gets put away today, will be intact five, ten and twenty years from now without the help of Mylar.
I just like to fidget with stuff. I don't like to stress over the things that bring me happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.