PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I guess it's the "tater" in me, but I don't know what FOMO means:
"Fear Of Missing Out"

I"m sure there are plenty like me here that buy some of the limited releases and pass on others - depending on if the blend sounds good. I'm also sure that there are plenty of other blends very similar and just as good as these. So much of tobacco buying is the "marketing": the tin art, the description, the rarity.
I'm not sure what "self-control" has to do with anything. I don't want "self-control" in these cases, I like to make impulsive, visceral decissicions. At the end of the day, were not buying a new car or some major purchasing decision. These are $12 tins of tobacco. Maybe the tobacco lives up to the hype and the story, but maybe it doesn't - not a big deal either way, but it is much more FUN For ME then just buying another tin of Nitecap etc.

I dig the limited releases largely due to the hype around them. It's FUN! I like the story they tell, I like the description of the (perhaps) rarer/older tobacco components. I like to support the energy and creativity that the blenders put into them.

Well then that's all good if you're buying because you genuinely enjoy trying hot new releases, rather than buying it out of some sense of urgency or "FOMO." You make a good point that trying new blends is fun, and there is a lot of enjoyment in the exploration process. Of course enjoying yourself is the only thing that really counts in pipe smoking.

I like good tin art, I like a good story, and I get the appeal of good marketing. However, I conceptually do not enjoy being marketed to, and ultimately, my take is that I like tobacco that speaks for itself and needs no introduction.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
FOMO marketing is an anathema to pipe smoking, which we generally tend to think of as a patient and mindful hobby, rather than one subject to this type of hype. Unfortunately there is a portion of the pipe smoking market that eats up this type of stuff, the worst offenders being those chasing Esoterica blends. I've seen groups on social media where they refer to all Esoterica blends as "the gold" and will buy ANY of them they can find.

In the bourbon world, they call the bourbon-drinking equivalent of these people "taters" based on the internet slang insult "potato" meaning a gullible person of very low intelligence.
100% correct....Marketing....And it's the "Bourbon Truck Chasers" with anything from Buffalo Trace.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
100% correct....Marketing....And it's the "Bourbon Truck Chasers" with anything from Buffalo Trace.

I see drinking whisk(e)y and smoking pipes as slow-going, relaxing endeavors, and as a nice separation from the hustle and bustle that permeates modern life. As you can probably see, I get cranky when any consumerist elements start to permeate my favorite means of relaxation.

I apologize to everyone if perhaps I have been exceedingly cranky about this issue to my fellow forum members. I'm on this forum not only because I enjoy discussing, debating, and joking about pipes and so on, but also because of the quality of the forum members. This is by far the best forum I've been a part of, and I've been a member of several over the years.

I am preparing for trial right now, and probably tend to get more forthright when spending my days butting heads. I'll be in a better mood on Friday... unless I absolutely get my ass kicked at trial puffy

I see drinking whisk(e)y and smoking pipes as slow-going, relaxing endeavors, and as a nice separation from the hustle and bustle that permeates modern life. As you can probably see, I get cranky when any consumerist elements start to permeate my favorite means of relaxation.

I apologize to everyone if perhaps I have been exceedingly cranky about this issue to my fellow forum members. I'm on this forum not only because I enjoy discussing, debating, and joking about pipes and so on, but also because of the quality of the forum members. This is by far the best forum I've been a part of, and I've been a member of several over the years.

I am preparing for trial right now, and probably tend to get more forthright when spending my days butting heads. I'll be in a better mood on Friday... unless I absolutely get my ass kicked at trial puffy
Give 'em Hell!!!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I had a bad case of FOMO early on because I got spooked by the deeming regulations. Now I have more tobacco than I could possibly smoke in three lifetimes at my current pace (although I expect I'll be smoking more if I ever retire).

If samples were still allowed my cellar would be a fifth of what it is. My taste for Latakia has dwindled to occasionality (is that word?) as well, so I'm passing on this one for sure.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Sometimes a limited release item is more than just marketing hype. The handcrafted, sublime Virginias that Ernie teases us with are a case in point. It's made in a small batch, because that's the Tobacco he can mix effectively. When its gone, its gone, and many of us love him for doing it. Some of the C&D releases have been really excellent.

So. I guess I'll be a potato - the stuff isn't exactly expensive..... not like I'm losing my shirt on the latest Apple product.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Hype, marketing, $ FOMO discussions aside, it sounds like a nice blend and is available at the same price as any other blend so I see nothing wrong with giving it a try and have ordered a few tins.

Worst case scenario either you hate it or it's still available around Christmas or something when a sale is announced and you could've saved 10-15%.

Opposite side of the coin is you might really like it and order more regardless of what the interwebz has to say.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
There are few guarantees in life, but small batch blends and their haters that don't like being "marketed to" are among them.

Nothing wrong with that of course, to each their own.

Personally I enjoy the chase, the thrill, the whatever you call it that keeps things fresh and interesting.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
7,600 tins gone in less than 24 hours at SP. ?. I’m sure they sent some to other vendors. I get a kick out of the gripe post. It’s just tobacco.

Well said. Bitches will be bitches.

Brilliant insights there buddy.

I do not agree with @Keitha on the issue of hype and consumerism in tobacco, but at least he sees the relevance of the question and expressed a cohesive position on the matter.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
We should be happy to see any new blends coming out... even if we don't think we'd like them.
I don't understand people being against pipe tobacco companies marketing to them. Let them market... make their pitch. You always have the choice to either buy it and try it, or keep walking. Is the Lovacraftian series stirring inner conflicts? Conflicting emotions? awakening the inner monster? madness?! Muah ha ha!!

My only quelm was whether it was a re-release. Plus, wondering what makes the Lavecraftian blends a series... but, hell, it's their series to begin with. They can call it whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.