PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I came home from work today to find my order of the new batch 3 of the C&D Carolina Red Flake sitting by my door. As I've been wanting to compare this batch with last year's batch 2 I figured I'd do a quick write up and include some pictures for anyone curious. I'm not one generally to write tasting reviews so this will be more of a first impression than anything.
I cracked a tin open and was happy to see that it looked as good as I was expecting. The new flake is on the left and last year's batch is on the right in both of the below pics.
YKuwls0.jpg

Next I grabbed my two most similar VA dedicated pipes, two Peterson Army Mount 120 Dublin shapes, and began packing.
XoCWfuV.jpg

Recently I've been smoking some of last year's batch in anticipation of this release and to re-familiarize myself with the blend. Tonight I first lit up the new batch and smoked through about a third of the bowl before setting it down to rest while I lit last year's batch to compare. I continued alternating pipes after each additional third while I enjoyed a cup of coffee.
I've gotta say that C&D knocked it out of the park again. The new batch is obviously the same high quality VA expertly crafted into a beautiful broken flake like the last batch was. Obviously a year of fermentation and aging in my cellar has darkened last year's batch a bit and taste wise it is a little more open tasting with the sweet dark fruit being more front and center. But this year's batch is just as I remembered last year's batch tasting fresh. That sweet dark fruit is there and I don't get any hay or other indicators of overly young VA in the new batch. I expect this to age and open up just like last year's batch has and to continue to improve for years to come.
Overall I'd say if you're like me and bought a few tins of the new batch to cellar then don't be afraid to crack one now and get a sense of what it tastes like when fresh. Enjoy a few bowls now to get a baseline and then throw it in a mason jar for a few months and revisit it to really taste the excellent red VA contained in this blend. Or just smoke it all fresh, you can't really go wrong with this stuff!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Excellent post, thanks! I didn't have the previous batch to compare to. I'm glad I bought a decent supply of this special release, I think it will age very nicely.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the review. It's good to know the new stuff is getting a thumbs up. It'll be my first taste also.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I'm smoking it now, third bowl of the day. It is pretty good and the baked bread analogy is spot on. Excited to get some age on it and see what happens! Thanks for the review!

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
@skydog That's funny my Virginia pipe is the same one. Peterson Irish Made Army 120. It smokes em so well I've thought about upgrading to the Silver Army with a P-Lip.
Enjoy!

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I've enjoyed a few more bowls of last year's batch tonight, really tasty stuff. Probably spend most of tomorrow night getting more acquainted with this year's batch.
And @leacha, they are great VA pipes. In fact, all the Peterson Army Mounts I own are great VA smokers. I got hooked a while back and have been snatching them up whenever I see them at a good price.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Thank you for the comparison. I only snagged two tins from last years batch and have been reluctant to open them. I got 5 of this years batch and will definitely be opening one right away.

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Great review. My 10 tins from SPC came today, those go to the cellar. I have 2 more inbound and may crack one of them when they arrive. I guess I need a baseline.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Has anyone started a bowl of CRF, and put it out, and start it back up again at a later time?
I ask because I have noticed unlike FVF or other Va’s, when I do this I mostly get a char/burnt flavor from the second light. Usually the delayed bowl is at least as good as the first light, but not the few times I did this to and from work.
Smoking a full bowl at one time is the solution, but curious if any one else experienced this.

Status
Not open for further replies.