PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
All right, so my intrest is officially piqued. After hearing nothing but admiration for the illustrious Black Frigate, I decided to pull up its stats:
... Pressed Krumble Kake -- M'kay, sounds good.

... Latakia and Oriental/Turkish -- Yeah, both tasty.

... Black Cavendish? -- Hmm...

... Rum topping? -- Oh, no... this is an aromatic, isn't it?
So, before I commit to throwing this booty into my treasure chest, I have a question for the loyal crew: How 'aro-ey' is this arghhhromatic?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nope, the rum is not a topping, and it's not an aromatic. Unsweetened black cavendish btw.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thank you for letting me know! I'll admit, I'm still nervous... But, who wants to live forever, right?
Very welcome! Nothing to fear from this one, just a good solid English that is only slightly sweet from the rum. Five stars in my book, and has been a staple in my rotation for years.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Tis rum and butter toffee sir.

Climb aboard Mr Deal, hand over hand sir, that's the way.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I smoked my 5th bowl of BF this morning. I'm really warming-up to this stuff.
I sawed some off the kake and was smoking it in a large brandy with no more than 15 minutes of drying. It loses too much goodness if you let it dry. It really burns quite well even with the minimal drying.
What kind of bowls are best for this blend??

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Started in on a tin of "The Frigate" a few days ago and I'm about 5 bowls in. So far, I'm only marginally impressed with it. I'm finding it to be a little on the "bitey" side. It's got some good flavor, but it comes and goes.
Going to try it in a few different size bowls to see if I can find one that suits it. Then at the 1/2 way mark, I'll put it way for a few months to see if some age does anything with it. My tin had about 5 months on it when I cracked it so it may just be a bit green.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Chasingembers, you are indeed a bad influence. I love Blockage Runner and because of your indorsement, had to try Black Frigate. A tin now sits on the shelf, next to be opened.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
After all this talk about "Frigate". I decided to pull the trigger and grab a tin. Wish me luck.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Who?

hahaha-024.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.