Buying more, less, or same after new taxes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
With the new S-CHIP taxes on tobacco, are you buying less or cheaper stuff?
I read a lot of news reports of retailers saying their sales are down because of the new taxes.
Personally, I haven't changed any of my habits at all. I still buy what I would have bought anyway. Maybe I'm an oddball in this respect?
What about you? Are you buying less, or the same after the new taxes on tobacco?

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
First off: I'm a newbie in this new website and would like to say hello and wish the site a fast growth. I look forward to enjoyable and edifying discussion of pipes and tobacco.
I stocked up on my collection of favorite tobacco before the tax deadline hit on April Fools. But since then I've continued to buy tins and bulk orders of intriguing and recommended blends. Not as many items since 4/1 as just before that date, but I'm still buying. I'm hoping to end up with a cellarfull large enough to tide me over the remainder of my life, just in case the much dreaded sales ban is ever imposed on tobacco by the Pleasure Police.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Professor Ben Stein, I guess that you'll have to wait until the drooling kid wakes up and lifts his head from the desk... My "cellar" is a walk-in closet. I live in a condo. But you're welcome to share. From my visits to pipe.org and the Google pipe group it appears to me that this is what a lot of smokers did/are doing. Not as large a feeding frenzy as the upsurge in the purchase of firearms, which has gone up exponentially from what I hear. Maybe tobacco sales declined after 4/1, but there was a noticeable hoarding activity just before. Or maybe it was just me, the lone prophet.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Yep!, I bought like $158.00 and $200.00 pre-SCHIP, All assorted tins to try, and a few lbs of the Dan, bulk blends.
Got a nice cellar starting now.
Tom

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I am still buying normally, as my budget allows anyway. My guess would be that, the reason that retailers are showing that sales have been down is because a lot of people were stocking up before S-CHIP. They aren't talking about the explosion of sales right before S-CHIP.
But back on topic, I will buy what I can afford when I can afford to do so. I will still be smoking my favorite blends whenever they are available. No change for me. Taxes will always be there and most likely they will continue to go up.

jaxz

Lurker
Apr 23, 2009
My spending habit is about the same. Like Bob, I'm budgeted and it varies month to month.

Status
Not open for further replies.