PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Buy these. These are the least expensive high end Missouri Meerschaum pipes. They are larger cobs, better finish, better stems, and hardwood plugs.

View attachment 276143View attachment 276144

They look nice. I bought the Legend because it has the perfect size for me and takes a 6mm filter. Without the filter the draw is way too open. I tried to pack tighter but then I had to relight all the time or smoke hot. With the filter it has the most perfect draw for me.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m smoking a 1943 hallmarked LHS second that might turn a beginner away from pipe smoking forever.

IMG_6463.jpeg

This is the real coin. It might be 500 years old. It colors like magic. The lines on this are a razor blade thickness apart. There won’t ever be this again for centuries, it’s all gone.

IMG_6464.jpegIMG_6465.jpeg
Once upon a time the French exploited a market for Algerian briar and the first briar they bought was the easiest to harvest, probably 60 or so years old.

Eventually they bought the burls from way up high on the Atlas Mountains that were 200-400 years old, or more.

IMG_6426.jpeg

That truly ancient, centuries old Algerian briar has a unique, strong, robust and spicey taste a beginner might gag on.

I just love it. I want more of it. It’s addicting.

The biggest MM cobs are made for veteran pipe smokers that never use the filter.

They’ll be there when your pipe never gurgles, nothing bites your tonque, and you crave stronger smokes.

Last edited:

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
What a great post! Thank you mate.
Back to the main conversation, there is a difference between cheep (cheaply made) and bought cheap for any reason (bargain). Maybe the seller didn't know the real value or he wanted a quick sale. There are also quality pipes which were expensive at their time but they didn't hold their value. These are not considered cheap pipes. There are abused or almost destroyed brand pipes at very low prices. The list goes on.
Obviously the smarter move is to buy expensive pipes cheap. But that needs attention, experience, patience, time and luck. I don't have any of these characteristics so I go the easy way. I buy estate from a very reputable seller which is suggested from the best forum. This tactics is also costly, apparently.
On the bright side, Dunhills and Castellos hold their value so they can be considered as an investment.
Truth be told, after yesterday's smokes with the cob I do not anymore feel that my 400 euro Castello purchase was that smart. Hopefully I still like it a lot.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like anything else, it’s a process.

With pipe smoking I find that it’s 25% equipment and 75% technique. Learning what blends you like and how to get the best out of them requires some experimentation. An expensive pipe isn’t going to compensate for poor technique. As one becomes more familiar with the process, one also finds the tools best suited to one’s needs.
One of my favorite pipes to smoke is a humble Brebbia that I picked up for $2. It suits me better than many of my more expensive pipes, including many of my Dunhills, Barlings, Comoys, etc. And there are high end Britwood that I smoke often. Over time one learns what works. A great smoke is where you find it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It took me years, maybe a decade, before I could smoke all day and still brush my teeth, and that was using mild drug store codger blends.

Smoking a pipe is like playing a guitar. For the first couple of weeks it’s hard to get a sound out of it. Then you learn where the notes are and it’s easier. After a few years you don’t think about where the notes are, the thing sort of plays itself.

Pipe smoking becomes as natural as walking or breathing, after long practice.

But in the end after fifty years you’ll want Happy Brown Bogie in a 400 year old Algerian briar pipe.:)

It’s a progressive addiction.

Don’t inhale, and you will likely live to die of something else.

bersekero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2023
Greece
Don’t inhale, and you will likely live to die of something else.
That alone could be the beginning of a whole new conversation but the topic is already fully covered by quite a few other threads.
As an occasional cigarette smoker and full time vaper I do inhale but not a lot. Mainly at the first puffs to get the nessecary nicotine buzz. Besides that was maybe the main reason why I started pipe smoking. To stop inhaling smoke. I think I am in the right path. A bit less every day.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So much information in this forum. Now I "need" a Lee...
We all "need" lees. Just wait. Then you will need a marxman. I've stayed strong yet, but I have spent days/hours looking at both!
There's a lot of joy to be found on the middle shelf, IMO. My most expensive pipe had a purchase price just over $100, and I have a lot of great smokers to choose from.
This is the center of my "range". In my opinion, pipes 2or 3x this price, don't get much better. And some have cost more and been worse.

crowbait

Lurker
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
I always start cheap. That is common logic. I need to see if a new hobby, sport, interest, experience is right for me.

Then I associate with experienced people and become a member of a nice forum and here we go. Forums are a real disaster. They drain your pocket.

Quality aka expensive equipment works better. That is true with all my other activities and in general. Road bikes, road running shoes, mountain running shoes, trekking shoes or boots, fishing rods, airguns, bows, r/c airplanes.

When I started pipe smoking 25 years ago, I bought some basket pipes. I quit shortly maybe because I never had someone to teach me how to smoke.

Now I found this place and, in a few weeks, I bought a MM cob, a Chacom, a Savinelli, a Dunhill, a Radice and a Castello. In that order. I still have the old Fe.ro.

Long story short I almost always reach for the expensive pipes. As a newbie I am not in the position to appreciate and tell which smokes the best but I certainly like the pricey ones much more.

So, do expensive pipes really smoke better?

An "expensive" pipe doesn't smoke better, a well-engineered and executed pipe does. The location of the draft hole in relation to the bottom of the bowl, the size of the draft hole, amount of gap between the stem tenon and the bottom of the mortise, the shape and depth of the funnel from the button face into the stem, and the pipe materials itself can all affect the smoke.

One hopes that when they purchase an expensive pipe that all these factors are done well, but it’s not a guarantee.

In my opinion, it also depends greatly on the tobacco condition and the smoker's ability to pack and smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On the bright side, Dunhills and Castellos hold their value so they can be considered as an investment.
Depends on the particular pipe. For the most part, any new pipe loses 50% of its value after the first match.
Certain rare Dunhills from desirable periods maintain value. Most don’t.
I bought my Castello Occhio di Pernice pipes for about 30% of original retail, and they are still in excellent condition and extraordinarily well grained by the standard of that line.
About the only part of pipe smoking that has some validity as an investment is the vintage tobacco aftermarket, for only a few hard to find blends.
Everything else is an expense.

Reactions: BenMN

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
An "expensive" pipe doesn't smoke better, a well-engineered and executed pipe does. The location of the draft hole in relation to the bottom of the bowl, the size of the draft hole, amount of gap between the stem tenon and the bottom of the mortise, the shape and depth of the funnel from the button face into the stem, and the pipe materials itself can all affect the smoke.

One hopes that when they purchase an expensive pipe that all these factors are done well, but it’s not a guarantee.

In my opinion, it also depends greatly on the tobacco condition and the smoker's ability to pack and smoke.

I’ve heard that and agree to a point.

Trancy Mincer used old Algerian briar that tastes wonderful for Custombilt pipes.

He only made high dollar pipes and construction was excellent, the carving artistic.

But his most popular seller were those super wide squat chubby bulldogs, and to smoke those you’ll need a nose shield to get one lit all around the bowl, then it’s hard to keep lit.

Construction is kind of like plumbing.

You only notice it when it’s really bad.:)

crowbait

Lurker
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
I’ve heard that and agree to a point.

Trancy Mincer used old Algerian briar that tastes wonderful for Custombilt pipes.

He only made high dollar pipes and construction was excellent, the carving artistic.

But his most popular seller were those super wide squat chubby bulldogs, and to smoke those you’ll need a nose shield to get one lit all around the bowl, then it’s hard to keep lit.

Construction is kind of like plumbing.

You only notice it when it’s really bad.:)
Some people swear off Algerian Briar and its "cinnamon taste" but I for one like it. Nose warmers are a different breed of pipe I tell you. I've never smoked one, but I can’t imagine it’s the greatest smoke out there. I always saw them an interesting novelty pipe. Maybe I should buy one and see. Who doesn’t need another reason to buy a pipe?

To the construction point...100% agree. You truly notice it only when its poorly done.