PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy1

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
I am a fairly new pipesmoker and am looking for some recommendations for premium tobacco. I live about 120 miles from the nearest B&M pipe store. I recently tried some Hearth and Home Daybreak and Larry's Blend on a recommendation. I found both nasty and unsmokable. I am currently smoking Prince Albert and Carter Hall and do like these but am looking for something with a bit more aroma. I would appreciate any recommendations for tobacco similar to either Prince Albert or Carter Hall.
Thanks in advance.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forums and to pipe smoking. Obviously you aren't ready for latakia blends yet. (Personally, I would never recommend something like Larry's Blend to a new pipe smoker, unless they were a veteran cigar smoker.)
I have recently been smoking and enjoying Iwan Ries' Private Blend, which is a tasty burley. You might also enjoy MacBaren's Burley London, or Hearth and Home Classic Burley Kake. The MacB is easy to find, while the other two are quite reasonably priced.
Happy exploring.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
You may want to try Granger... It is fairly inexpensive and as a new pipe smoker I found it quite good. And I believe it is a burley blend. An OTC one but a burley nevertheless.. Give it a try.. I think you will like it. It has more flavor than Carter Hall also which I have tried...
Cheers!

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Also, I'm going to have to chime in with Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake and ANY of the Cornell & Diehl Burley Flakes (#1-4).
Or a good VA/Bur/Per would be GLP Cumberland. I kinda love that one. :puffy:

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I am a big fan of Burley's too. My 2 favorites are Park Lane Fireside (I smoke it all day every day) and P.S. Cube Cut :puffy:

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I'm still a newbee, but two from MacB are in my rotation. Golden Extra and Symphony. I give a slight nod to Symphony, but I very much enjoy both of these.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not a huge fan of Burley and stay mostly in the VA/Vaper blends but have been turned on to some interesting burley blends. P&C's smokers day bag had Sutliff's Kentucky Planter which I found to be mild and more flavor than just burley hay. A more hardcore VaBur is C&D Exhausted Rooster if you want to kick it up.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
MacBaren Golden Extra

4 Noggins Down by The River

and for a real tasty treat you really should try Frog Morton Cellar, a terrific blend IMHO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the Granger suggestion; it's available in a pouch, so you can try it before you commit to a can.

It was my dad's life-long smoke. It is technically an aromatic because of its dressing, but it is mostly

Burley, and quite flavorful if you are among those who can taste Burley. Many smokers can't, but I can

and do enjoy it a lot. Another pleasing Burley available in bulk is Lanes Burley Without Bite. I think it is

authentically non-aromatic (correct me if I'm wrong) and gives a tasty but mild Burley experience. I may

follow up on some of the Burley suggestions above, but I also like a variety of other tobaccos and blends,

so Burley comes around about every week or two.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Two blends in the burley category for me have been MacB Burley London Blend and Scotty's Butternut Burley.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
You have been given some very fine suggestions, since you like to lean toward Prince Albert and Carter Hall, I would give Kentucky Club Mild a try, you can still buy it in a pouch, and I think it's a pretty decent tobacco for an OTC.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great thread!! Just added Solani Silver Flake and GLP Cumberland to my TAD list. I LOVE ABF so I am sure the 660 will be a winner in my book!

fuzzy1

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
Thank you everyone who responded and have given me some great suggestions. I now have much to look forward to. My pipe smoking now has a much brighter outlook.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Welcome to the forum fuzzy1. You will get plenty of good information here, and I'm sure it won't be long before you become overwhelmed. LOL

Experimentation with the different blends can be a lifetime enjoyment, just ask me!!

Have a ball, take your time, and let us know what you enjoy after your trials.

:)

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome to the forums!
I started in on English blends before trying any Burleys, and I was actually enjoying H&H Daybreak right up until yesterday, when it turned on me. I'm tempted to blame the pipe, but I'll have to try it again in my regular English pipe before confirming...
But anyway - I haven't smoked a lot of Burleys yet, but of the two I've tried, I like Sugar Barrel the best. It's a "codger burley", but it has a nice aroma and mixes nicely with the pearwood scent in my Mr. Brog.

Jul 12, 2011
Love me good Burley and VaBur Blends as well as VaBurPer ones;
Burley and VaBur

1. Solani's ABF

2. Peterson's UF

3. Boswell’s Premium Burley
now spin that VaBur with some Perique to see if you might like that as well as a little more Nic perhaps;
1. C&D's Three Friars

2. C&D's Night Train
I'm also really enjoying C&D's Morning Drive....as an AM smoke w/coffee~light English/Burley blend, which adds a touch of Perique for flavor & also GL Pease's Haddo's Delight
Also if "Aroma" is what you are looking for; Boswell's Blends...MMM-mmm-MMM :puffy:

Some of Boswell blends I have enjoyed in the past

1. Berry Cobbler

2. Christmas Cookie

3. Chocolate Cream

4. Pennsylvania Dutch Treat

5. Piper's Pleasure

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 to Solani's Silver Flake. That stuff is awesome. I think Rotha and Harris for turning me onto that. The moisture in the tobacco is spot on. No need to dry. Just rub it out or cut it up and smoke it.
It's a fantastic Virginia Burley mixture.
I also enjoy H&H's Classic Burley Kake.
oh and I think you need to try a straight Virginia and a Virginia Perique mixture.
Try Escudo for the Va/Per. Also try a few of the Stokkebye tobacco's like Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Twist Flake, Luxury Bullseye.
Also if you can find it you should try MacBaren's Old Dark Fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.