PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys, I'm looking to try out a burly. I'm thinking Haunted Bookshop looks good. Something musty and sweet , any suggestions?

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Hmm, sounds Pegasus does sound good, it'll be on the next order methinks. Thanks!

Haunted Bookshop has been ordered :)

joshuaburgess

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
I tried Haunted Bookshop on a whim last year, and it has pretty much become my all day smoke. It's the only tobacco that I buy in 8 oz tins. It's complex enough to enjoy when I really want to think about what I'm smoking, and downright tasty enough to enjoy when I just want a quality smoke without much thought. Really terrific stuff.

Reactions: Hollis

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know how you guys do it - Haunted Bookshop kills me every time. Don't get me wrong - it has fantastic flavor, but then that pepper kicks in and I start getting "burley throat", and then the vitamin N starts working, and suddenly, I don't feel so good....
To the OP, if you're new to tobacco, you may want to try a few of the milder burley blends as well. Haunted Bookshop will either knock your socks off, or just knock your head off... :puffy:

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Love the C&D burley lineup. Old Joe Krantz is first rate in my book (the perique is just right in OJK for me), followed by Big n' Burley and then Haunted Bookshop.
HB to me has the least kick of the trio in terms of nic and boldness of the smoke - making it a great all day for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D is a master of burley blends, so if you like burley, you can't go far wrong, tin or bulk. I've enjoyed Bill Budd, OJK, Dark Burley, Big 'n Burley, Pegusus. I have an unopened tin of Riverboat Gambler and Burley Flake #1 aging. Russ O. at PC has a fine touch with burley in blends as well. And if you love burley, don't miss the two Semois burley variant versions, thick and medium cut.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I had done a revisit on haunted bookshop I love the blends name and the whole Morley book it's a good read. Anyways was disappointed but let it age a year and the va used comes to life and this stuff is solid good nicotine hit as well.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
The only straight burley blend I've tried is Solani Aged Burley Flake. It's a very high quality tobacco, but it's not my favorite. Just not enough going on for my beginner's palate.
I DO really like MacBaren Old Dark Fired. I don't know if that counts as a "burley blend since they contain VAs and the burleys are Fired-Cured Kentucky.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah I'm just a big fan of C&D in general, they have some of my favorite blends: Billy Bud, Habana Daydream, Autumn evening... And they happen to be on sale at 4noggins all month :)

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I'm just a big fan of C&D in general
Yeah, for the longest time, I just couldn't find a C&D blend that really agreed with me, and I didn't consider myself a burley fan (at all), either. Then, this winter, all of a sudden I'm practically a C&D fanboy. They account for 2/3 of my daily smokes. Picked up some Old Joe Krantz after constantly seeing it mentioned here. Mostly liked it for the nic hit (and the perique!) at first, but it's turning me into a burley-phile, I swear. OJK led me to Riverboat Gambler (equally great), and so then I decided to gradually check out the whole line of C&D "heavy hitters." I've been speeding through my first tin of Habana Daydreams in record time, and I may love it even more than the first two. Burley Flake #3 is good, too, but I've still got the rest of that series to try. Today I picked up some Bayou Night (smoking my first bowl right now and it's got lots of promise!) and some Billy Budd at my B&M. Pegasus and Haunted Bookshop are going on the list. Any others I'm missing?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pegasus and Haunted Bookshop are going on the list. Any others I'm missing?
If you like a little Latakia, you should try Morley's Best (Burley, VA and Latakia -- no Orientals) -- it's kind of like Haunted Bookshop with a bit of Latakia.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks, @pitchfork. I am liking the burley/latakia combo in Bayou Night, so I'll give Morley's Best a try. How's the nicotine level? Also, how does it compare to Burley Flake #4 (the one with the lat, but no perique)? I've been curious about that one, too.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Morley's Best has pretty good nicotine (i.e., it's fairly strong, but not too strong). I've never been tempted by Burley Flake #4, but considering it could be similar to Morley's Best, I might have to try it.
I've had the other three Burley Flakes, but #2 is far and away my favorite.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would second John Patton's stormfront if you want a good burly all day smoke.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah I'm just a big fan of C&D in general, they have some of my favorite blends: Billy Bud, Habana Daydream, Autumn evening... And they happen to be on sale at 4noggins all month

I really enjoy Burley Flake #3 but ya may as well just go with your first thought, Haunted Bookshop is really nice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.