PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like to imagine @Briar Lee has his feet up on his solid mahogany desk, listening to 78s on a wind up gramophone, puffing on a big old star spangled briar while he asks his secretary to type up his forum responses verbatim, just everything that comes to mind, and then when the secretary gets up to turn the record over he says "...and chuck that song at the bottom of the post Daisy, that's a good one right there."

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
So what is it about Briar Lee's folksy small-town lawyer chat that really pushes people's buttons? I don't know, but it's entertaining as hell. He just keeps spinning yarns, as nice as the day is long, while folks like @simong and @telescopes have brain aneurysms. WTF, people?
Let’s make it clear. I love Briar Lees folksy charm. We’ve talked on the phone and typically have corresponded by PMs for years on a weekly basis. Last week was racism, Trump, and Biden. This week is Orient Watches. What I like about the man is he can take as good as he gives. Apparently, there is some jealousy here or either we have some people who are really poor at reading between the lines. He’s a decent man and I for one am happy to see some admiration going his way.

i just worry for his soul and pray he doesn’t go to Hell.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Love me some @Briar Lee , the more the better. Someday maybe we could see the Briar Lee Invitational, a blind tasting event where unmarked bags of Buoy Silver along with various other inexpensive blends are paired with an equal number of more expensive blends and offered to a panel of volunteers who would then review each blend and guess the identity of each one. Could be fun.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Love me some @Briar Lee , the more the better. Someday maybe we could see the Briar Lee Invitational, a blind tasting event where unmarked bags of Buoy Silver along with various other inexpensive blends are paired with an equal number of more expensive blends and offered to a panel of volunteers who would then review each blend and guess the identity of each one. Could be fun.
We’ll be doing just that at The Lehigh Valley Pipe club in March!

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I won’t read everything @Briar Lee posts as I’ve stated…I have to be in the mood. He is either very serious about his critiques/opinions of these “lesser blends” or he’s yanking your chains…either way his write ups are usually well written and thought out & a side benefit is watching you’ll get your backs up over his “folksy” posts. 🤣 …love it. 👍☕

1708001705386.gif

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My friend telescopes has a thread about identifying as a low life.

I really don’t think a pipe smoker who takes all the time and effort to get past tongue bite, gets his collection of briars, meerschaums and cobs, maybe a clay or two, builds a cellar of tobaccos, then seeks internet companions who share his passion for pipe smoking can possibly be a true low life.

He’s like those “bikers” who are want to be bikers, with a fake belly padding and a Japanese cycle with heated handlebars, and no arrest record, and their wives were actually pretty when they were both young.

In the large world I’m an educated hillbilly from Humansville, that might say warsh instead of wash, and really likes the taste of Algerian briar and North Carolina bright leaf.

But when I go home to Bug Tussle I’m normal. Same as the other normal folks.

My father was a dairyman, my mother a schoolteacher, and every story and anecdote I relate here is as close to truth as good storytelling permits.

There really are, no low lifes.

There’s folks not as blessed from birth as I am, that circumstances force to live from day to day.

If I were to mock or scorn the lowly, then I’d fear damnation.

So long as I recommend $11 a pound tobacco in $25 Marxman pipes, I ain’t to much worried about my soul, you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Low Brow, Mr Lee … LOL. Now I know they taught you to read in that one room school. It reads Low Brow.

There is a huge difference, ha ha.

Or are you suggesting those who like the less high brow stuff are really… low
lifes? Hmmmm. I wonder?

A low brow is an unfortunate child whose mother was never the pretty girl singer at the 1946 Camdenton J Bar H rodeo, and whose father was never President of the local school board. It refers to the sloping brow of the poorest of the poor.

A low life on the other hand, descended down to their low station in life, and may be uplifted.

Dr. Ralph Stanley made the distinction years ago.

• Love
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

telescopes

A low brow is an unfortunate child whose mother was never the pretty girl singer at the 1946 Camdenton J Bar H rodeo, and whose father was never President of the local school board. It refers to the sloping brow of the poorest of the poor.

A low life on the other hand, descended down to their low station in life, and may be uplifted.

Dr. Ralph Stanley made the distinction years ago.

Mr. Lee, you need to watch some soap operas for entertainment. May I recommend "Days of Our Lives."

Let's talk then.

telescopes

He’s like those “bikers” who are want to be bikers, with a fake belly padding and a Japanese cycle with heated handlebars, and no arrest record, and their wives were actually pretty when they were both young.

350295765_6272887686080362_7172565138357931761_n.jpg
You mean people like this group of friends from my MC. I encourage you to walk on over and refer to them as a low life. Not really. I like you and I wouldn't want to have to pay for the pavement to get cleaned afterwards. LOL. Most of these bikers have served time and most of them have aged out - and all of them are decent members of our community who give back where more than anyone knows... but if you judge them by the way they look or the way they lived (or still live) you wouldn't know it. Probably best not to be confusing low brow with low life. But a nice upstanding church going member of the community might not know the difference and that is understandable. This is the wedding reception for the woman who just got married in the center of the picture. It's off a public site so I am not breaking any rules posting the picture... thank goodness.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Briar Lee:

Thank-you for this image of the Country Gentleman sack. It's interesting to note that the tobacco was manufactured by Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company, the same company that originally manufactured two of my favorite pipe-tobaccos: Velvet and Granger. They, too, were comprised of, "Good, ripe, skillfully cured tobacco...". It seems to me that they were onto something good!

1708032670240.png