PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Airflow, yes, but during the relighting of the bottom bits. The pipe tends to be slanted down on a light and relight, so a large flame will lick/eat/devour the chamber where the flame most heavily contacts the wall, as well as the effect of drawing through the air hole, will concentrate the flame at that point.
Another reason for lighting gently, drawing the tip close to but not touching the tobacco. And having the tobacco dry enough so it re-ignites without many BTUs being expended. Torch not thy tobacco!!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Could you post a photo of the burnout?
unnamed_zpsrkpij2ym.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
Unless there is more to that than I am seeing, fireplace mortar would do the job, might even be Overkill. I think I would be tempted to go with yogurt and carbon powder as described in various posts on the forum from time to time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burnouts are unusual. I think briar and other woods can have flaws that are unseen, and of course over-puffing can make it worse. The re-applied coating may have been to cover the flaw. If you get more than one or two burn-outs over the years, I'd look at your smoking style. Otherwise, it's just luck of the draw I'm afraid. Many pipe smokers, with lots of pipes, never see one. I've had one cracked shank, right at the bowl, but no burnouts so far. Knock on wood (briar).

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Sorry, man. I too, won't buy an estate that has been re-coated. Merle pipes on the Bay has a Castello and an Ashton that I really like, but he re-coats all his bowls. Two more beauties I won't be buying!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.