PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
So I'll make this a short thread. I ran out of room for pipes like we all do and decided that I had enough skills to build my own rack. After some carful measurements I came up with this rack here. The top and bottom are made from African Mahogany while the back piece is made from Philipino Mahogany. The bottom rests and back rests have leather pads on them. As a bit of decoration I decided to add a Blantons Stopper that I had laying around. If anyone's interested in a custom pipe rack let me know. 1000004764.jpg1000004770.jpg

Attachments

• 20240204_085853.jpg
    20240204_085853.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 42

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Looks great! Nice routing job and nice Drac. collection too. I made a of couple racks a few weeks ago, but the staining did not work out with one of them. Back to the drawing board.

Reactions: revnatorade

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Just came out too dark, but I was probably using the wrong type of stain for oak barrel as I only had Febings Leather dye which is what most use on briar. Plus, it was a spur of the moment thing when a relative got an unwanted massive oak lazy susan as a gift and I relieved her of it. Not much planning done. The first one. Very simple design. The 2nd one is more like yours, but is in pieces right now. Again, nice job. Thx for posting.

IMG_8330.jpeg

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Just came out too dark, but I was probably using the wrong type of stain for oak barrel as I only had Febings Leather dye which is what most use on briar. Plus, it was a spur of the moment thing when a relative got an unwanted massive oak lazy susan as a gift and I relieved her of it. Not much planning done. The first one. Very simple design. The 2nd one is more like yours, but is in pieces right now. Again, nice job. Thx for posting.

View attachment 285293
I love your design. If you're trying to balance out the color you can sometimes sand it with some water to balance out the grain.

Reactions: kcghost