PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I am a massive fan of strong black tea. How strong? If you can see the bottom of the mug, you've prepared it wrong. I generally use Bewley's to accomplish this, but my local sources have dried up. What's a good alternative?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
A Yunnan or Assam would be the way to go. How do you like to brew it, loose leaf I'm hoping. Personally, I think Pu-erh is the way to go for that dark flavor but the musty notes may or may not be to your liking.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Builders tea in Britain is strong tea with milk and loads of sugar. How odd
Seconded yorkshire tea though, it's all I drink. I'm drinking it now in fact. Out of a yorkshire tea mug.

Mar 31, 2014
I like to think that I also enjoy strong, black tea. But, these suggestions might be a little weak for you. I'm honestly not familiar with Bewley's.
What I drink is Bailey's Irish Breakfast, which I get at Cost Plus World Imports. Twinnings does a good version which you can find just about anywhere. Trader Joe's has there own, my second favorite.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
As Yorkshirepipe said, I recommend Yorkshire Tea.
For "builder's tea", that is surely the superior choice. It's not a choice I make very often though.

None builder's tea wise, I'm a big fan of Clipper's Early Grey. That is a great cup of tea.

However on rainy days (as it is in the UK today) I like whatever brand of Lapsang Souchong tea I can get my hands on (except Twinnings of course; don't drink Twinnings. They changed all their blends when they moved their factory to Eastern Europe and now only make undrinkable rubbish).

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I usually pick up a box of King Cole whenever I'm in Canada. I think it's pretty strong by the can't-see-the-bottom-of-the-cup test. You can order it online but there are probably more readily available blends that are just as good.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I've tried Twinning's Irish Breakfast. Takes about 5 bags in a pint mug to make a decent brew. I'll have to try Yorkshire Tea, if I can find it.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I didn't realise Twinnings moved, haven't had any in a while so I know to stay away now - 5 bags!? That is strong tea!

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I wondered whether I'd imagined it but no, googling it has shown me the news articles on it from 2010.

I'm not certain whether it's ALL made in Eastern Europe now, but I presume so.

However, it's not where it's made that I have a problem with. My major problem with Twinings is that they have wrecked all their teas, they've changed all their blends.

Their Early Grey now just taste of vanilla and washing powder; it used to be great.

Mar 31, 2014
5 bags! Well, I guess I cannot call myself a strong tea drinker, after all. Which Bewley's did you normally use? I'd like to see if I can handle your strong cup of tea...

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Back home in Canada I like getting Tetley's, in the Netherlands there is a generic supermarket english breakfast tea that is nice and strong as well. Brew it until its nice and dark, then a small splash of milk. No messing around.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
When I make Bewleys I use 2 bags in the mug and steep for ten minutes. It's the green box "Original Blend", can't find the yellow box "Irish Breakfast" anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.