PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
I just started pipe smoking on Wednesday I think, 4 days ago, the day after I got it the symptoms started to appear, of a nasty head cold.

Waking up with headaches (or hangover?), 3 days of fever type dreams (the kind where a task is looped and never gets completed, or resolved, but you are half awake).

My nose is running like a leaky tap and I am sneezing all day.

My head feels like in a vice, and all those other things.

I cannot taste, at least barely, my tobacco (taking sneezing fit) OK, yeah, I feel like a kid with a new bike and it's pouring rain for a week!
BAH!!!!
I'll get over it.

My sinuses are building up for another sneeze.

I HATE this!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of liquids. Eat every meal even if you're not hungry. Except for the fever dreams, sounds like

seasonal allergy, but usually allergy makes you drowsy and makes you sleep. Take care; get well.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Right there with you. I had the flu and didn't smoke, then went on assignment and got to smoke once, and at the worksite there, got a respiratory irritation. Coughing so violently and so frequently that for the past three days it's felt as though a biker gang beat my chest and stomach with ball bats and tire irons. Head full of living foam, wheezing, burning eyes.... Had to put the hobby away for now. Again.
Guess every smoker will have a story like this. There's just gonna be sometimes when you're not gonna smoke. Sucks that happened so soon to you, though! Nothing to do but wait it out, I guess. Got a favorite sick-bench I can rent space on? Maybe wait it out together?
Patience. It will pass, and then you can start tweaking your technique and experimenting with blends again! -- You'll forget you were ever sick.
Hang in there.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Nardzorb is waiting to recover from his illness. But I'm thinking when that moment comes that he takes a deep breath and realizes he can take a deep breath without following up with a sneeze or a cascading spasm of coughing, he still might not feel like immediately picking up his pipe.
Forum pals, what has your experience been? What's the typical lag time for you between recovering from a respiratory illness and wanting your pipe again? Does it generally take you a few days or are you eager right away? (Or are you like me, and sometimes try to smuggle in a bowl or two too early to enjoy it yet?)
Nardzorb -- interesting question, yes?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Man, it really sucks to get a cold/flu or respiratory thing.
For me, it usually lasts about a week, at most. Sometimes I try smoking but I'm usually sorry I did. LOL
Maybe I've been lucky, although I do take a flu shot every year.

Mar 1, 2014
Whenever I have a cold, aside from the usual recommendation of fluids and sleep, I find that spending time outdoors (usually involving physical activity) does me good, at least it shuts off the tap in my nose temporarily.

My nose also never runs while I sleep, so maybe it's different for other people.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
Well thanks!

I am at the ehh ehh stage with the phlegm, the nose is drying up, sneezing much less.

Got to go to work so I'll be brief.

Sucks to get the cold the day after I get my very first tin of tobacco, at least I got to try it while I could taste it.

But after that I could not taste anything!

ASAP, I will be packin' and puffin'!
Get well soon all you, you cold s,s,sufferers you!

Th'th, that's all folks!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yep it hit me today :crying: My wife had it and I stayed away from her and washed my hands a dozen times a day. Emailed my doctor and when he gets in the office at 8:30 he'll call in the big gun to knock it out. Z-pack's are the best for killing these things. My wife suffered for 2 weeks, this will take care of it in 5 days. Just in time for my colonoscopy on Friday. Then for my birthday the following Friday I'm getting an upper GI scope. I lost Grandparents and an Uncle who would have lived if they'd gotten regular scopes. I'm considered High risk so get them every 2-3 years. Just as a side note -- My friend and Metal God Ronnie James Dio would be alive if he had gotten an upper GI earlier. If you're over 50 you should check the family tree and talk with your PC.
Craig

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Get well soon nardzorb. I can relate to the new bike analogy as the same thing happened to me when I started pipe smoking. A new Peterson and fresh tin of Irish Oak, and unable to smoke.
Dot
P.S. Dragonslayer Craig, thanks for the remminder. I've been meaning to for too many years now.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
Was a real sneezefest it was, yes.

So anyway, I am back from work, it is 7:00am and I am having a Grolsh beer and a pipe load before I go to bed.

The worst is over with and man I was waiting for this!
Good luck to all you sick b******s out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.