PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
My tastes are moving on from a couple years long affair with DFK. Old Gowrie, dark bird's eye, Stockton, and Newminster 403 being favorites.

I tore through a tin of Wessex dark flake. It was all I wanted to smoke for the time it lasted. Managed to score a few more of those, plus G&H best brown #2, and Germain's Bridge.

What are these (stoved Virginia's on their way to being Cavendish?) and what others should I try? I see F&T have one, G&H have several options.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I built my cellar back in 2012-2013 I bought more tins of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake than any other blend.
Other brown flakes is Astleys no 109 Medium Flake. It is very similar to the Wessex. Also there is a Wessex Brown Virginia Flake that is great.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Thanks for the leads, guys. All 100% sold out everywhere ;P

So, what are these blends, generally? Neither "Dark" nor "Matured" are grades of Virginia leaf from a grower's or buyer's perspective. Stoved? Steamed? Stewed? Pressed? How does one make a "dark flake" and out of what component tobacco(s)?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Another vote for Germain's Brown Flake. Its been really difficult to come by in the UK over recent months and I don't suppose the situation is much better in the US. If you can purchase a tin you should definitely give it a try.
What’s the deal with both Brown Flake & RDF not being available anyways? I’m hearing the Chinese, “hoarders”, issue with production, etc. ☕

Reactions: JOHN72

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
G&H Best Brown #2 is in my top three blends of all time. I stock up on it every time some comes available.

The "Brown" part comes from a couple sources depending on the manufacturer. I know BB2 contains a fair amount of Burley, so that certainly contributes to the overall color.

Plus when you press any tobacco (especially when heat/steam is added) you are going to get a darker final product than when you started, especially if you start with darker leaf to begin with (think Red Virginia vs Bright Virginia).

So there is a "Cavendish"-like quality that comes from the process, but it still retains much of the character of the leaf without it being completely cooked away.

Just my $0.02. Happy hunting and I hope you find many Brown Flakes that you like.

Reactions: JOHN72

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I smoked a tin of BB flake years ago and remember enjoying it, but I don't recall specifics. What is the general flavor profile of brown flakes (assuming they have a profile that stands out from other flake varieties)?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I don't know if this is true of all blends calling themselves brown or dark or mature Virginia flakes, but the one's I've enjoyed most so far have a smooth flavor and a terrific mouth feel. Something about it being on its way to Cavendish, I'd guess. The smoke is thick and velvety. They are just a pleasure to smoke.

Reactions: futureman

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've tried Astley 109, Astley 44, F&T Special Brown Flake, Wessex Brown Flake, Wessex Campaign, etc.

Of them all, Astley 44 is the best... for the first half of the bowl (to me). The first half a bowl of A44 may in fact be the best thing I've ever tasted in my life. It's an epiphany. If I don't stop myself now I'll wax lyrical.

But then (for me) the flavor disappears in the second half of the bowl, and it even gets char-y and unpleasant to me.

I'm not sure that others experience this in the second half -- it may just be something about me.

I've got 4 or 5 tins of it still. One of them's a 2013 -- the others are more recent. I may sell them.