PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I just watched a great documentary on Netflix called "Brother's Keeper". It's about a family of four aged brothers who live on their upstate New York farm in obscurity and a state of disrepair. One of them, William, falls ill and dies. The local authorities place blame on Delbert - charging him with the murder of his brother. Sympathizers posit that Delbert euthanized his brother as he would end the life of a suffering animal. Prosecutors bring up malicious fratricide, incest, and all kinds of unseemly motives for the "crime". We are left to watch three illiterate brothers cope with the consequences of interference by state investigators who led the accused man to sign away his innocence without understanding the ramifications of his actions - Delbert simply maintained that his brother passed in the night, unassisted, something corroborated by the others, and that he was coersed into admitting guilt without an attorney to explain the charges against him. The community, who once shunned the Ward "boys" as outcasts, rallies around Delbert and supports his cause. We see their lives in action and watch as Delbert's freedom in challenged by Authority and defended by unlikely champions.
I really liked this documentary, I'd recommend it to you all. Anyone see it before?
Good quote:

"Hell, when they asked Delbert if he was ready to waive his rights, he didn't know the difference between that and waving to someone on the road"
(Cameo: Beech Nut chewing tobacco, favourite of brother Roscoe)

Status
Not open for further replies.