PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It would appear that a man I called Friend, Art Ruppelt, passed away in March of this year. I used to be a police officer in Solon, Ohio and became acquainted with Art when he and his lovely family lived there. He eventually moved to the Atlanta area but we
were friends on social media. Hadn't seen anything from him so I did the dreaded Google search...Obituary.
I don't have a great deal of time for the forums but I don't see anything mentioning Art's passing. A really good guy. A and rt was, of course, a pipesmoker, pipe maker and crafted some wonderful art in the form of Acrylic tampers.

Mike Stanley

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A hand-turned tamper is a refining touch for pipe smoking. Art left his legacy with fellow pipe smokers. Condolences to family and friends.

Reactions: lraisch

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
RIP Art, condolences to his family.
Could some of you share pictures of his work ?
Art’s tag-line was “Art That Work’s”. All his stuff was done freehand based on named shapes in named colors. I’m sure his Ming-Kauna web site or Facebook page is still around or on the way back machine.
From my collection.
IMG_1290.jpeg
IMG_2279.jpeg

Last edited:

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Too bad. Spent time with Art and friends 20 years back in Chicago. Pleasant guy, purchased one of his tampers. Sad he's gone.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I had the pleasure of having a table close to Art at a Richmond show around 2008-ish and got to know him throughout the weekend. I was working for a retailer he didn’t really care for, but by the end of the weekend he gave me one of his tampers as a friendly gesture for our weekend of conversation. He was a very smart, thoughtful man that didn’t take any bs. RIP Art.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Ahh… so sad to hear. I’ve owned number of Art’s tampers and used to chat with him at the NASPC shows in Columbus. Oddly enough, I found his tampers too beautiful to use! (Well, I eventually used one) They would easily clean up to look like new, but I preferred to set a Ming out to look at while I smoked and tamped with a .99c aluminum nail / so non-sensical. Thank you for sharing this news, sad as it is.

Reactions: mingc and jguss

rruppelt

Lurker
Jul 8, 2023
I just happened to come across this. I guess the internet is sometimes smaller than we realize. I’m Art’s wife. In January, we leaned that Art had a recurrence of colon cancer that was originally diagnosed in late 2019. He passed away on March 4th.

So nice to read all the kind words from all of you. The pipe world meant to much to him.

Our first grandchild, a boy, was born just a few weeks before passed away. Casey, the light of Art’s life, was able to get to town with her husband and son just a few hours before Art was gone. We know in our hearts that he knew they were there.

We were going to be relocating to be closer to the kids. I’m going to be doing that on my own now. It’s a wonderful blessing and we know that Art is watching over us.

Ronna

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I just happened to come across this. I guess the internet is sometimes smaller than we realize. I’m Art’s wife. In January, we leaned that Art had a recurrence of colon cancer that was originally diagnosed in late 2019. He passed away on March 4th.

So nice to read all the kind words from all of you. The pipe world meant to much to him.

Our first grandchild, a boy, was born just a few weeks before passed away. Casey, the light of Art’s life, was able to get to town with her husband and son just a few hours before Art was gone. We know in our hearts that he knew they were there.

We were going to be relocating to be closer to the kids. I’m going to be doing that on my own now. It’s a wonderful blessing and we know that Art is watching over us.

Ronna
My deepest condolences to you and your family.