PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I own one meer in which the bowl was cracked just above the stem and runs the circumference. I purchased the pipe knowing of the repair which was done by the manufacturer. The pipe was purchased by my local tobacconist at a national show from the importer's rep. He bought it for his own use and I talked him out of it. The repaired crack does indeed show up and is easily spotted as a black line, less than a hair's thickness, girding the slowly turning meer. It becomes more visible as the pipe colors. It will probably be readily noticeable until the area is a deep brown, almost black, probably another 4 or 5 years. I should live so long. It may become even more noticeable, who knows. It's a great smoking tool and that is what counts.
As an aside, all of my meers, except one overly large bowl pipe, are comfortable to clench, mine rarely leave my mouth while smoldering. They do gain a bit of heft as the mineral soaks up the residues. But, none are heavy enough to prohibit cradling between my molars. I suppose my jaw muscles have been strengthened by 50+ years of pipes.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I've found that some super glues depending on the type will not bind to certain materials alone.Egg whites adhere well to anything porous and it gets hard when dry.The film is very thin but sticky.For what ever reason I have found that once applied, super glue bonds well.By the looks of your pipe I don't think there's a whole hell of a lot that can be done. So give it a try and if it works out great just don't drop it or screw the stem to tight.

muleskinner

Lurker
Jul 7, 2014
Well, last night I went ahead and coated the broken sections with egg whites and then used gorilla super glue to glue the pipe together. I'm dying to smoke it, but it is too cold outside and I don't want to make tbat mistake again. So far I'm just happy to see my pipe in one piece again. If it ends up smoking well and staying together I'll see about having Paul's Pipe Shope in Flint put a silver band on it. Thanks everyone!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Good to hear muleskinner, it's a really easy fix that's why I was really encouraging you to give it a go. I wouldn't bother with no fancy silver band, just take some silver duct tape and wrap it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.