Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"However as the real punishment, you must bathe every day."
But which day.....Monday, Tuesday ???
Tom, there are many things that irk me with the English language but I have to keep reminding myself it is a fluid and dynamic language.....love it or loathe it, sadly it's a fact. Even the great Dr. Johnson realised that trying to set the language in stone was as futile as trying to lash the wind.
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ah, imagine the disappointment to my young self when I realized that there is no true "grammatically correct" in English, only "grammatically currently acceptable." As Jay points out in his usual astute fashion, the language is "fluid and dynamic". I spent years believing in educators when they would pontificate on the "incorrectness" of the contraction "ain't", only to find they were merely parroting mythical claptrap that had been parroted to them.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Wasn't master Shakespeare, the wordsmith not the fishing pole manufacturer, responsible for more than a few new words?"
Indeed he was Warren, allegedly he introduced over 1700 new words, showing the potential flexibility of the language. One thing I always found odd is that he never spelled his name the same way more than once!
"...there is no true "grammatically correct" in English, only "grammatically currently acceptable."
Aldecaker, I well remember my very strict father admonishing me for using such words as 'commoner' (meaning more common as opposed to someone who lived on the common). He was a journalist of the old school and a very clever chap but he was often wrong......not that I ever dared challenge him.......his hands were big and my head was small :(
If I had ever said "ain't" I would have felt that hand quite sharply.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
New words or words adapted to new meanings: tubular! New words that are inflated to sound "bigger": grody to the max!
And, Jay, re bathing: every Saturday, whether you need to or not.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Yes, Jay and Aldercaker and Warren, you rebuke me well. Word usage is itself fluid and meanings and even some syntax is subject to alter according to the times. I think that I have the heart of a traditionalist in regard to many things and so I need to bear in mind the fluidity of language. I guess according to that idea there is no such thing as decay or decadence in word usage -- only fluidity and change in what is commonly accepted? I always thought the loss of a plural 'you' was a decay. Because of its loss, I have understand completely the grammatical urge expressed in some areas with 'you-all' or 'yous' for making a plural form.
But Jpm, what about the golf trousers? :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
No rebuke intended, thomasw. I'm just getting on board an interesting conversation!
I found it intriguing that "ain't" had a long history as a perfectly acceptable, "grammatically correct" contraction before it became the schoolmarm's bane.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No rebuke intended either. One of the benefits of the web is the exposure to new, different, correct and incorrect. We get exposed to local idioms, different spellings, new words, new definitions for old words, the gamut.
Language, even when written, is a window into a person's "class", education, location, all sorts of indicators. The proper use of "you all" will quickly separate a true "American southerner" from a "wanna be." Usage is helpful in identifying where a person lives or stems from.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Yes, Jay and Aldercaker and Warren, you rebuke me well."
No rebuke here either Tom, I agree entirely with your sentiments and also consider myself a traditionalist. As I said, though it pains me to see the language manipulated, distorted and at times drawn into the gutter (Krumble Kake anyone?) I have to accept it and go with the flow. That said, I would only ever smoke crumble cake :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Only rebuke I intended was for Jay to cite my error- IF indeed I made one! :) It is possible.
Language is fascinating, as is pronunciation. I've noted that Southern Californians often pronounced "law" as "la", among other atrocities.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thomas: Wow, what gear! Maybe if I can get my handicap into single digits I will treat myself to plus fours.....(I've dropped from 27 to 17 the last nine months) But it's drab khakis mostly, black socks and brown leather shoes. Pretty boring.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tiger certainly moved the needle ratings wise. It was the highest rated final round since 2000 where Tiger won at St Andrews. I was rooting for him as I still believe he has a major or 2 left in him. As much as I loved Jack when he was playing, Tiger was the better golfer. Tigers short game was superior to Jack's.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Tiger certainly moved the needle ratings wise."
And to think he was virtually written off a couple of years ago.....just goes to show what dedication and determination can get you.
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Let's not forget Tiger's equipment is light years ahead of what Jack was using. Comparing athletes from other eras is, to me a waste of time. Imagine how far Jack would have drive the ball, most likely straighter than Tiger judging from comparing driving accuracy, with today's clubs and the longer ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.