PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
By virtue of their storied history and reputation, I've been wanting to try one of GH's products. The last drop gave me an opportunity to do so. I suspect I would not be a fan of the Lakelands, so I went with something low-risk: Brown Flake Unscented. I've read that this blend would likely have a slight residual Lakeland aroma due to production methods, but I didn't detect anything resembling a floral essence. To me, this blend smells and tastes like an unadulterated VaBur. It's by no means a light tobacco, nor is it overwhelmingly strong. I would describe it as a sturdy blend with a mild and perfectly natural sweetness. It smokes cool and very smooth. The flakes are also lovely; they sparkle with sugar crystals and are easy to rub out. Excellent stuff. I may have a new favorite!

IMG_7779.jpgIMG_7777.jpg

Last edited:

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Thanks for the review. I used to buy this blend and add about 7ml of good scotch whiskey per 50gms. It was as close as I could get to the late lamented Players Whiskey flake. It was a decent smoke after a period of mellowing in the jar.

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
How did you add the Whiskey?
I used a graduated medicine syringe and drizzled it onto the flake in a plastic bag. I then jarred it to allow it to soak in and mature. Obviously some drying time had to be factored in when it came to smoking it.

Reactions: Brendan
To me, this blend smells and tastes like an unadulterated VaBur.
This is where I get confused. I assume that you are in touch with your senses, and yet I have pounds of this in my cellar, all with a definite lakeland-esque aroma. So, I assume that they are changing their blends. Crap, I would try it, but I have sworn off buying anymore.
Inconsistency with their products makes it very hard for us to discuss.

Good review.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
This is where I get confused. I assume that you are in touch with your senses, and yet I have pounds of this in my cellar, all with a definite lakeland-esque aroma. So, I assume that they are changing their blends. Crap, I would try it, but I have sworn off buying anymore.

Good review.
Since my original post, I’ve read that shipments from smokingpipes.com have little to no residual Lakeland essence. Perhaps this is due to storing methods? I really couldn’t say.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

Good review.
You’d better not let @gawithhoggarth hear you say that, or she’ll rip your rip your lungs out, Jim.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Since my original post, I’ve read that shipments from smokingpipes.com have little to no residual Lakeland essence. Perhaps this is due to storing methods? I really couldn’t say.
For years, almost everything that came out of the Gawith’s factory had some level of Lakeland in it. I gave up on the “unscented” products, because they weren’t. They’ve done some house cleaning, apparently, and segregated the lakeland. My recently acquired box of Unscented Brown Flake had no hint whatsoever of Lakeland or granny’s undies drawer.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Good review, it’s consistent with my recent experience with this tobacco, little or no Lakeland essence (I’m happy with that). I agree that it’s a sturdy smoke.

Reactions: futureman

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk

Good review.

No not changing blends.
As with any hand made product there will be slight variations from batch to batch and of course from one leaf order to another.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
For years, almost everything that came out of the Gawith’s factory had some level of Lakeland in it. I gave up on the “unscented” products, because they weren’t. They’ve done some house cleaning, apparently, and segregated the lakeland. My recently acquired box of Unscented Brown Flake had no hint whatsoever of Lakeland or granny’s undies drawer.

News to us! Same factory, same machinery, same senior production staff and blenders for the last 30 odd years.

Also those in the factory have and still all baffled by the "Lakeland Essence". This is not a concept we particularly came up with, it is something that sprung up from reviews etc. We don't have a Lakeland essence although understand others label more "floral" scents as this.

Singlebevel

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
Cincinnati
Thanks for the review, it serves to elevate my anticipation… I’ve got a half kilo in the mail of the brown fake u/s and very much looking forward to taking custody! GH is a newcomer to my cellar, I only regret not discovering these blends much earlier.

Kendal and Glengarry are my current favorites, Kendal being my current absolute favorite morning blend.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
News to us! Same factory, same machinery, same senior production staff and blenders for the last 30 odd years.

Also those in the factory have and still all baffled by the "Lakeland Essence". This is not a concept we particularly came up with, it is something that sprung up from reviews etc. We don't have a Lakeland essence although understand others label more "floral" scents as this.
While the soup may have a different name in-house, it is still soup. What does Gawith call the savory collation used on many of it’s blends?

While the soup may have a different name in-house, it is still soup. What does Gawith call the savory collation used on many of it’s blends?
I just clicked on "ignore" for this person. Not worth it to argue with them. I'm thinking about putting together a bunch of samples from my cellar and run forum tasting. Despite what this forum member says, the product has changed over the years. And, just being stored next to another lakeland is not enough to "scent" their product this much. Besides... I really want to get rid of these blends.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I just clicked on "ignore" for this person. Not worth it to argue with them. I'm thinking about putting together a bunch of samples from my cellar and run forum tasting. Despite what this forum member says, the product has changed over the years. And, just being stored next to another lakeland is not enough to "scent" their product this much. Besides... I really want to get rid of these blends.
What kind of company would put forward someone like this as their public face? A company that really doesn’t give a rat’s posterior about their customers.