PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi! I've been getting pretty frustrated with my briar. It smokes well until I reach the bottom. I can't seem to keep the bottom part of the bowl lit. I just end up wasting a lot of tobacco. It gets really sticky and won't light for long. When I take the tobacco out there is a sheen of sticky stuff at the bottom of the bowl. This doesn't really happen with my cobs. Is this just a matter of breaking in the pipe? Should I really expect this from briars? Bad technique? Or bad pipe?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I would say that 85% of the time I end up with a small clump of wet tobacco at the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I can smoke all but a few crumbs, but I also have gotten a mouth full of ashes when trying to get the last bit to burn! Different pipes and different tobaccos give different results. I never worry about wasting tobacco if I toss a small amount of wet tobacco away at the end of the smoke. Yeah, tobacco's not exactly cheap but some waste is to be expected, and it's still cheaper than cigars and cigarettes. (and tastier IMO)

Go with the above advise and use pipe cleaners as you go and smoke fairly slowly, and enjoy the smoking and don't worry about the dottle in the bottom. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I've noticed I get a great smoke from my cob as well, I think it has to do with the small void around the stem. It creates a air pocket which seems to help me get to the bottom or as close as I like to.

I tend to pack my briars with a bit of space by not cramming the 1st third so tight.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I am packing the first third too tight. I'll try that out. I've been smoking Boswell's sweet tea a lot. I'm addicted to it. It's just so sweet and pleasant. Yes, I do get a lot of moisture when I smoke it. I think I need to dry it more. I can't say enough good things about my cobs. I just wish I had a better stem. I might have to get one of those forever stems. Happy smoking;)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
By all means, get a few Forever Stems as they are worth the investment if you are not concerned about using a filter (something I never use in any of my pipes). Also, don't be overly concerned about this idea of 'burning down to a fine white/grey ash' as you'll end up chasing your tail to no purposeful end. Bottom line... it doesn't mean shit. Dottle is dottle and it's part and parcel of pipe smoking.
As some have pointed out aro's can be quite 'goopy' and that doesn't help matters so some drying time would be beneficial. It took me a long time to finally relax with a good smoke and no longer be concerned about the end result as far as it pertains to what's left in the bowl. As time goes on it somewhat becomes second nature as for packing and drying, and even then I still screw up at times. When you no longer become overly concerned about it you'll be quite surprised. :wink:

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
+1 for forever stems. I'd not fret too much about some dottle. Aros are usually somewhat worse in this regard. Smoking too fast will exacerbate the problem, as will overly moist tobacco and high humidity. Try packing a bit lighter and see if that helps.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I said it once I'll say it again I consider the last part of tobacco as a disposable filter and don't worry about it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoking all the tobacco in the bowl is to me a waste of time.
Yes, it is hard to light-there's very little tobacco present. When you do get it lit it goes out quickly.

Yes, you do regularly suck ashes, some of them with lit tobacco, into your mouth. If you don't actually get ash you are likely to have a "hot" light and singe your mouth.
I use my pipe tool to assess how much is left, and if I am at the bottom, dump what's left. You'll see that there isn't much there; it's not a matter of waste.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Sometimes I get frustrated about the last third of my smoke too. The constant relights, the goop, the wasted baccy. But then I realize that it really is such a small amount I'm actually loosing and that it is better to just be done with that smoke and be happy than fight something that is going to tick me off.
+1 on forever stems and cobs though. Wonderful combination!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
My suggestion would be to cease the smoking of aromatics. They are wet, bland, tasteless and have virtually zero nicotine content. They also ghost the shit out of whatever you put them in. Branch out and try some non-aro flakes and english blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some dottle (unsmoked tobacco) and a little moisture is to be expected, and shows up especially in briars

because they don't have that little moisture trap at the bottom where the shank joins the cob bowl. Drier

tobacco helps, and packing not quite so tight near the bottom (but not loose) also helps. Also, tamping

now and then, to keep the fire focussed, may help too. Don't get perfectionistic and feel like this means

you're not packing or smoking right. Some of this just happens and is fine. Just adjust things until you are

happy with it.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I don't sweat it I just look at the dottle like the nub of a cigar, you can't smoke a cigar down to the end cap either.

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
I don't sweat it I just look at the dottle like the nub of a cigar, you can't smoke a cigar down to the end cap either.
Great metaphor. I'm think how would that be if you can :laughat:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Getting the right density of a 'pack' can vary from pipe and tobacco. I find that if I don't pay attention I tend to salivate into the stem. That can't help.

The reassurance by experienced dottle makers lends confidence.

Briars require more exacting procedures than the very forgiving Missouri Meerschaum.

I think those folks got something there.

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
I often don't smoke down to the last bits. Not because it is too wet, I smoke slow and pretty dry most times, but because it starts getting really heavy tasting and I don't particularly like it. Some baccy taste great all the way down, but others start tasting like swamp mud in the last puffs. If that's the case I just knock it out, wipe the bowl gently and might just repack another bowl, if I want to continue.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
what is this boswell sweet tea?

I didn't find it on P&C.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Coalsmoke,
This article should be required reading to join Pipes Magazine. I'm getting some matches to play with right away.
tinner, Stan :!:

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
As others have said, I don't worry too much about the left over wet dottle. I usually find when trying to smoke it that it's usually a little strong and bitter compared to what had been a rather enjoyable and often flavorful smoke. I'd rather end the smoke on a good note rather than worry about trying to completely combust all the tobacco in the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.