PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not reviewing Country Lawyer, since this is my first bowl, sent to me as a sample from the Chicago pipe show by a Forums member. It intrigues me because it is one of those blends with all of six different tobaccos, similar to but more refined than PC Midtown Chestnut. Country Lawyer is burley based, so likely to please me, but with other leaf intricately woven in for a pleasingly unified taste. Here's the description from the PC site, quote:
Briar Works Country Lawyer is a robust blend that's primarily Burley-based. This spicy tobacco mixture is rounded out by the addition of earthy cigar leaf, bold and smoky dark-fired Kentucky, sweet Virginia, zesty Orientals and mellow black Cavendish. Briar Works Country Lawyer pipe tobacco is a full-bodied blend full of southern charm that’s a great choice to wrap up a long day – no objections here. All in all Country Lawyer tobacco is a must-try from the Briar Works collection case closed. Enjoy this Briar Works blend with one of the well-crafted Briar Works pipes. End quote.
If that sounds like a little too much to orchestrate in one blend, there's the surprise ... nicely done. I'm smoking it in a broad bowled Peterson rusticated, slightly bent, author, and it works nicely, to get most of those tobaccos going in the ember at once. If you're looking for a blend a little off the track, but in a good way, you might put this one to the test. It comes in its own glass jar, which is an admirable touch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pretty impressive, with a lot of breadth and variety in the melding of the tobaccos, not just one at a time. Maybe I'll say more after another bowl. I think you'll be well-pleased with the jar.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Tom, I sent you those samples 14 months ago. How did you store them? In the zip baggies or did you place them in a jar?

Glad you're enjoying them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
scott, I kept them in the baggies, afraid that if I jarred them they'd get shuffled under. They have been just great all along. I had my second bowl of Country Lawyer in my one Meer, to get that definition on those six tobaccos, and I was impressed once again at how cleverly harmonized and balanced they burn together. It really is a remarkable blend. The various leaf does not move in and out, but all melds in a particularly off-handed seeming way. I feel like I've really discovered something here. I've had several six-leaf blends, one a little harsh, most pretty good. I like Chestnut a lot. But this takes it to a new level, for me anyway. Some or most may not agree, but I am impressed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for those samples, Scott. You sent them to the right guy for burley. I subscribe to best practices on jarring blends, but I have noticed blends keep pretty well for much longer than I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.