Briar vs Bruyere, Center vs Centre, those damn English spellings..how come?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
Bruyere as I learned is the brits version of Briar.....The Canadians dont go to the Mall they go to the Centre....So I can assume that pipes that use Bruyere are british or Canadian...

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Everyone knows that England and America are seperated by an ocean and a language.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Uh, I believe that bruyère is a French word. It is thought that Jura, France is the birthplace of the first bruyère pipe

-- fashioned (c. 1840) to replace a broken meerschaum. This story may, however, be anecdotal.
The British can be credited with establishing the so-called classical pipe shapes; and,

of course, their contributions to the art of tobacco processing and blending are legendary.
those damn English spellings..how come?

Because we Americans have butchered their language, and are arrogant enough

to think that we're right and they're wrong.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, I believe that it was the French that introduced the Bruyere Pipe

to the world, so it's really their word. Yes, the story is anecdotal but

still a good one, as it survives to this day and frequently shows up in

the literature. During that time frame, the French were highly regarded

for their Meerschaum & Ivory Pipes that demonstrated the pinnacle of art

at that time in Pipe carving. It was a time rich in commerce and wealthy patrons.

Ben Rapaport's article, One of a Kind: La Pipe Dieppoise (P&T Magazine,

Summer 2010) gives what details survive on this chapter in Pipe history.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
another thing is bruyere also exists to this day as a -type- for German pipe (the porcelain painted things you sometimes see when looking for clay pipes). Language is overly versatile in the West and I suggest just learning to deal with it heh heh.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
Because we Americans have butchered their language, and are arrogant enough

to think that we're right and they're wrong.
After the tea was in the harbor, the only thing left on the dock was tobacco. Our founding fathers would never abuse tobacco in such a fashion so it was decided that we would ruin the English language instead. :nana:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I speak several languages. American, English, Aussie and a smattering of Canadian. Traditionally English does not so much adopt words and grammar from other languages so much as hauling those languages into a dark ally and mugging them for any loose bits.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I second that German remark. Only nonsensical words like "kindergaten" made it through unharmed and well...they might have stood a bit of tweaking yeh know?

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
"Oom Paul" type pipes"....Not Rupaul pipes (We know what pipes he likes smoking)

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Well said, Unclearthur.

Its actually quite interesting watching the so-called modern English language "grow" (or, more accurately in my mind, devolve) with the growing usage of "netspeak" and other slang.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I make an effort to use the American spellings when I'm posting here, out of respect for the majority. 'Taint no big thang. :)
English is a common language of the masses which was jumbled together from Old English, French and the Saxon languages. Probably a few more in there, too. That it has any coherency at all is a miracle. American spellings can be traced largely to The American Spelling Book by Noah Webster (Google Books here), which made an attempt to "cleanse" many of the inherited crazy spellings. So full credit to the Americans for seizing the bull by the horns.
Arguing about who's right is nonsensical, though. Enjoy the wondrous variety.

Simon

freedomfry

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Bruyere pipes are different than briar. If you were to smoke a bruyere pipe and smoke a briar afterwards...

You can tell the bruyere gives off a bad taste. I got a bruyere pipe on ebay and it was complete garbage....

Status
Not open for further replies.