PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Michael Parks is great: http://www.parkspipes.com
Also, Todd, our own "Sasquatch" on this forum, makes great pipes: http://bstpipes.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
peck knows. He's cornered the market on fine artisanal pipes in general and in Canada in particular.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
The list so far shows those still carving. Those no longer ….
Colm Manger

John Calich

John Hamilton McGrath

Leonard Payne

John Rocheleau
Cats Paw Pipes - Bill and Terri Weist - not sure if they are still carving
There are a few others, but can't think of their names right now
Michael J. Glukler

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Evan Wiseman still turns out a pipe or two each year, and is a regular at the Chicago Pipe Show. Lately he’s been selling accessories like ash trays , rests, and tobacco prep plates.
Giovanni Placentile has slowed down his production considerably but there are some nice pieces floating around the estate market.
Ian Barnes is also making custom pipes up in Edmonton.
— Pat

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
All depends on what you are looking for.
Downie carves weird ass west-coast stuff, he's a mad genius.
Drifting East, Barnes is north of me, he is more into Danish stuff, does a lot of bamboo.
I basically make classic English/French stuff, a little neo-classical, but nothing very exciting. Pipes, in other words.
Parks has mad skill. He is truly one of the best in the world at this point, and he commands top dollar for his work, as should be. Placentile is out that way too (torontoish) but I'm not sure if he's still carving either.
There's actually a pile of guys carving in Canada off-and-on or on a hobby basis. I know of people in just about every province.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Scpipes:
Please add Julius Vesz to the list: www.veszpipes.com
Sadly, Stefan Seles' repair site has gone black. He was also moving inventory for the very fine pipe maker, Philip Trypis.
Before he went on the lam due to crimes against nature, (I heard it had to do with goats, for God's sake) Pruss used to refurbished chunks of vintage, made in Canada, Brigham pipes. I obtained several from him and they're wonderful smokers - maybe some of the best production pipes available on the secondary/tertiary market. Those well seasoned pipes should easily fill anybody's "good" category.
Coldsmoke beat me to the Blatter family. I have five and two are in my weekly rotation.
Fnord

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
James, I miss you.
It’s spring down here, we’ll be swimming soon. Come down for some fishing, drinking and hanging out with the family. And for God’s sake bring tobacco... it’s a $100 a tin down here. Fucking Hobbits have to sell themselves at the intersections of horse cart tracks in the Shire to afford some Ol’ Tobey.
— Pat
PS - What fnord says is true. 90s and earlier Brighams are rediculously good smokers for the $$, their airways are wide open because they are meant to take the rock maple filter and their drilling and figment is usually pretty good.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
You could also ask forum member Maxim at pipes2smoke as he is in Canada and sells estate Canadian pipes. He has astounding and deep connections in the world of pipes.
I have a few Blatter and Blatter pipes which are fantastic. I also have a nice Julius Vesz that I picked up at Pulver's. Forum member Mklew has 2 nice unsmoked Vesz pipes on his site now.
John Calich is another that comes to mind if you can find any. Even though he lives in LA, I think Colm Magner counts as a Canadian.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
sasquatch is no slouch in making pipes. He is too humble and his work is outstanding...IMHO

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
One of the old-guard (sounds funny to say but things are different now) American makers pointed me in the right direction a long time ago with this adage: good pipes sell themselves. It's not about photos. Not about hats, hype, beards, a posse, nothing. It's about pipes that are good enough.
It truly is that simple. The difference between "Oh hey bro, that's wicked!" and "Oh my god, take my money." If you can separate those two and hit the latter again and again, you'll make it as a pipe maker. Not to say it's easy or anything, it's not, and the deluge of not-ready-for-primetime pipes on the market these days is proof (and nobody is immune, we've all made stuff we see later and think "Oh my, did I do that?"

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Todd, it has been an age since I was last in Julius’ shop. But as of late last year he was still selling pipes, and his toy soldiers, in the bottom of the Royal York. He’d been grumbling about retirement for the better part of a decade... I don’t know how many new pipes he’s making a year, or how many more years he has.
— Pat

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Last news I had was that The Royal York, is renovating the whole down stairs retail levels and all the retailers had been moved out. I think Julius has set up a shop in his home and is only semi retired.
Michael J. Glukler

Status
Not open for further replies.