PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is Brebbia tobacco in a tin, Calvados Mixture 110, an Italian brand tobacco blended in

Germany, named after a French apple brandy, Calvados, that is made in the Normandy

region of France. I aged my tin two years; it opened with the loud pssst that indicated the

vacuum seal had remained tight. The tin contains a plastic liner bag and a cardboard circle

to help seal it closed. As with many aromatics, the freshly opened tin had a perfume scent

of the brandy flavoring but also a strong fragrance of the Virginia tobaccos, pleasant all

around, but a bit too aromatic at first. The tobacco pieces are fairly large and vary somewhat

in size, and are surprisingly dry, not bone dry, but not moist feeling, just a hint. My first bowl

was in a Ser Jacopo bent blast Dublin. Since this was my first smoke with a just-opened tin,

I packed it somewhat tight and did several relights. The flavor was interesting but brandy

forward, and I looked forward to seeing what the blend would be like given some hours to

vent the flavoring, though of course I didn't leave the tin open. My second bowl was in a

Missouri Meerschaum unfiltered diplomat (with a Forever stem) and burnt more evenly and

completely than the first bowl where there was some dottle at the bottom. My third bowl was

in a Tinder Box bent pot, more loosely packed. With this bowl, I felt the tobacco hit its stride,

allowing the blend of Virginia tobaccos full play, with the brandy becoming more quiet and

providing just the nicest edge to emphasize the various hay and floral tones of the tobaccos

coming through. This is what the blender was after, and it is nicely executed. Any fan of

Virginia tobacco will certainly savor this blend, either as a holiday treat (with the apple brandy

zing) or as a regular rotation, maybe to heighten the Perique blends when they come back

around. Not every retailer carries Brebbia Calvados Mixture No. 110. I found it at Cup O Joes

under tinned tobacco. Especially for fans of Virginia tobaccos, this blend is worth seeking out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I should have mentioned, a 50g tin is priced at $12.95, with several of their blends going for a dollar more,

at Cup O Joes. Any aromatic and/or Virginia smoker might like to at least consider Calvados Mixture 110.

Status
Not open for further replies.