Breaking News From The BBC: Scotch Whisky World Record.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This is same type of discussion often heard about high end pipe prices. Like Cosmic stated, it's about status and collecting for that market.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some people have more money than sense.
Yes, and it's always been that way. But a million dollar bottle of scotch to a 100 billion dollar guy is less extravagant than a Keane painting to a $15K a year man.
But it still leaves me shaking my head. Perhaps collecting and smoking nothing but vintage blends that go for over $500/oz would compare. Pipestud could buy a new boat!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Some people have more money than sense.
Few people have the sense to make the moneys which allow such a purchase to be made easily and without much thought.
Then again, one doesn't need sense to inherit a fortune.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
We're getting off topic a bit. But, after getting money one may either grow it and spend it, or simply spend it. If spending a million, not a lot of money to many, for booze is satisfying ... why not? I'm fully cognizant that having money makes one open to derision by those who do not have it. Even those with money deride peers for spending outrageously at times. Much as pipe smokers deride another smoker for their choice in pipes.
I'm one the side of those who choose to applaud such spending. Indeed I encourage it. More money in circulation means more available for you and I. Every employee of the auction house, in this case, could benefit in some manner. Whether it be increased job security or possibly a raise/bonus, getting money into circulation is a good thing.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It's the much applauded trickle-down effect. A billionaire spends ridiculous amounts of money on a bottle of whiskey, thus creating employment, health and happiness for all mankind.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The below story is a vivid illustration of how insane some of these high-end auctions are.
And the real kicker here is that apparently no one even knows if this "artist" really exists. Could be the "masterpiece" was just computer generated for all anyone knows.
'GOING, GOING, GONE!' Banksy’s Girl with Balloon artwork SELF-DESTRUCTS in secret shredder frame minutes after £1m auction – and now it’s worth double
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7431402/banksys-famous-girl-with-balloon-artwork-is-shredded-minutes-after-being-sold-for-1m-at-sothebys-auction/

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The Banksy stunt was simply one in the eye of the mega million art collectors of this world. The sad thing is they will not get it.
Also, did anyone else think the whole thing was staged with the full knowledge of the auction house? Look closely at the faces of those witnessing the actual shredding.
Regards,
Jay.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Banksy stunt was simply one in the eye of the mega million art collectors of this world. The sad thing is they will not get it.
More interesting to me than the shredding stunt is that supposedly no one even knows who this alleged artist "Banksy" actually is.
So I'm not sure how anyone knows the auction item is authentic and original. I suppose the auction house would have been expected to verify that somehow...but I wonder if there is any precedent for a contemporary artwork being valued so highly without the identity of the artist being known.

Status
Not open for further replies.