PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Before reading ahead keep in mind I'm just a wee bit nervous when it comes to putting the first flame to my new briar.
Today I decided it was just the right moment to put my Chacom Salsa 297 in service. Although I've read all the tips and tricks in the threads, I chose to do things my way. I took the dottle from my last bowl in another pipe and wiped it aroung in the fresh briar chamber of my Chacom. Then I took a sticky pipe cleaner and moved it around in the fresh unsmoked bowl as well. Finally I took some clean ash and gave it a final rub around.
I then felt confident to load about a quarter bowl and give it a light. I let the pipe cool after every 3 or 4 minutes before relighting just to be on the safe side. As I shook the ashes out I could clearly see a gentle residue in the bottom of the bowl with ABSOLUTELY NO SCORCHING. I'm going to continue building the cake very carefully, but before I know it I'll be chuffing down full bowls of my favorite blends.
She smoked very well indeed and with the full taste of the tobacco!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I don't have a pic of my specific pipe but this one depicts it perfectly:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/chacom/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=124642

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
After about my first 6 months of smoking a pipe, I stopped worrying about break on procedures. Basically load and smoke. I wouldn't say I smoked any slower than normal, because I figure if there is a flaw that will cause a burnout, it'll happen no matter what.
Glad you're enjoying the new pipe. Chacom is a great manufacturer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great looking Canadian, and I think the light weight will add to the pleasure. It has an ample bowl.

My Chacom is a green-stained straight billiard that was done exclusively for Iwan Ries; I think I bought

the last one. It's been a fine pipe. Your ritual breaking in your pipe isn't a bad thing, not necessary, but

all your own, and part of the pleasure of your new pipe. Some like the dab of honey. Others just load

and go. I still do the partial bowls as a break-in, and relatively dry, neutral flavored tobacco like

Carter-Hall or Lanes Burley Without Bite, etc. I at least blacken the bowl gradually and completely, though

I am not one for cake building more than the minimum. It works for me, as my 30-plus year old pipes will

attest. French pipes mostly give quality well above their price point. I think yours is a great traditional

shape that will keep its appeal for you for years to come.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
What Northernneil said. I have no ritual, no "steps." I treat a brand-new pipe the same way I'd smoke any other: Load and smoke.
Burn-outs that happen on the first or second bowl are the result of flaws in the briar. Preparing the bowl a certain way or smoking in a certain way is not going to prevent them. And you don't want to prevent them; every pipe retailer should happily replace any pipe that burns out after one or two bowls, because it's indicative of a defective product and you as the buyer are typically warrantied against such defects during the first year.
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I just pack and smoke, as i don't have the patience or care to smoke little quarter or half bowls in it brand new or broken in. With as many pipes as i have bought lately, i will have plenty of chances to test my theory, as there are a lot of pipes in my arsenal that have yet to be broken in. I don't necessarily pack the bowl to the brim, but then again i don't really do that with any of my other pipes either. I think you should pack and smoke your pipe how you see fit, while still listening to other more experienced pipe smokers regarding relevant and important concerns such as cake thickness, how to pack the bowl, frequency of puffing, etc.
In regards to letting a new pipe sit, Dawg, i definitely share your views on not wanting to smoke a beautiful new pipe and taint its brand-newness. That is where we separate in opinion though, as that feeling of not smoking it is a fleeting one and i proceed to pack that baby up and puff away. Again, i have no patience and if i just spend a good chunk of change on a pipe, you can bet your ass i'm going to enjoy it for what it was made for to the fullest extent. Life is too short for unsmoked, lonely sitting pipes, lol. I can understand where you are coming from though, Dawg, and i respect that as well as the level of patience you must have to hold of for 6+ months before smoking a new pipe!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try not to delay smoking a new pipe, but I want to have it be a somewhat memorable occasion, not just

throw it in the rotation and go. Sometimes, I will let them sit around for weeks or even a month or two, but

then I dive in. Right now I have four pipes I bought at the recent pipe show, two Old Dominion cobs and

two panel billiards, one briar unfinished foursquare stamped Savenelli, and one Jerry Perry hand-carved

Mountain Laurel. I think it will take me a month or so to get all of the bowls blackened at least a little,

an embarrassment of riches.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
an embarrassment of riches.
Mso
I completely understand your feeling. Right now I have two new acquisitions and feel overwhelmed with ricches; I can't imagine what it will be like after the Chicago show.
As far as breaking in a pipe, I've talked to different pipe makers and they seem to agree that just stuff and smoke as usual (not outdoors in drafts) and enjoy.
That's what I do, and alternate so they get to dry out.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I’ll probably relax at some point northernneil and allan, but for now I treat this pipe like a new born baby!
Thanks for the compliment on the pipe mso489. And, well I tend to be a little ritualistic when it comes to pipe smoking in general; for me it somehow adds to the pleasure. As you say, I'd like it to be a memorable moment.
I have no doubt you’re right rmbittner, but emotions aren’t logical!
No ashy taste dawg, it was nothing more than a light coating, the protection effect was purely psychological. As a matter of fact the tobacco was delicious! And I tend to have a waiting period before breaking things in, even with shirts, shoes, etc., not just pipes.
It’s more about treasuring something dear to me than anything else layinpipe. With my King’s Cross Featherweight I just load and light. Although I don’t necessarily smoke every day, I don’t really even worry about resting the pipe: I’ll just smoke her ‘till she’ll smoke no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.