PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Monssen13

Lurker
Oct 12, 2023
From what I understand, SWR (normal, not "Aromatic") does have a light topping of molasses and anise. I also understand that Burleys are useful in breaking in pipes, at least according to some. Does SWR's topping disqualify it from building a neutral cake/carbon layer?
Thanks!

Reactions: Bbailey324

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
In my book it would unless you dedicate pipes to burley blends with casing topping. I have a 307 system I use for everything and sets of dedicated pipes for all manner of specific types. Eventually you'll buy dozens of pipes. For the first one try everything in it except ghosts of lakelands and maybe some strong Latakia like pirate kake. You can smoke straight burley a few bowls to exorcise most common ghosts other than the ones I mentioned. If you are concerned and want to create neutral cake first use a straight burley like Lanes BL/WB.

Reactions: Monssen13

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I just start them all on Captain Black and go from there. Um, no actually I don't do that. Lately I have been smoking Granger in some new pipes. It seems fine and reasonably neutral even with a bit of molasses/anise casing. Prince Albert works as will CH. Or the tobacco of your choice if you know what you want to primarily smoke in it. I wouldn't worry at all about starting with SWR.