PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
A belated happy 4th of July to our American forum members. I'm heading into the wilds of Northern Ontario with a couple of knock around briars, a new MM cob and a tin of Brigham's VaPer Tudor Mixture. What if anything do I need to know about breaking in a cob? It's my first time. Also, it has a crappy looking cardboard medico filter. Waste of time? Your advice and comments much appreciated.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks Rothnh. The "them cobs" thread earlier got the idea stuck in my head and when I saw the MM at my local B&M this morning I decided to invest the $10 and check it out. Remember reading some other posts that no breaking in was an advantage to cobs so glad to have that confirmed.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Am I wrong in remembering that Twaine employed a person to smoke the hell out of his cobs before he'd even touch them?

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
MM are outstanding pipes fast break-in and easy to maintain I have several I use for blend sampling. They smoke almost as well as my high-end briars and there's lots of variants with the forever stems which just makes your MM better IMO. I personally don't use fillers in any of my cobs, like Roth said its a personal choice and long as you dump your ash before you relight should stop the ash in the mouth problem.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
The only reason I can see Twain would have done that is because the first couple of bowls in a new cob tend to have a slight taste of corn, which I personally like, but I can see why some wouldn't.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The first time I smoked an MM cob it still had the filter in it. It made my throat feel weird. I immediately throw them away when I get a new one. I've never had any ash problems. I do have some cobs dedicated to some blends, and I actually use a marker to write on the stem so I know what goes in what.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
The idea of personalizing a cob with one of the forever stems like some of you have suggested really appeals. Some great examples in the "them cobs" thread. Also like the idea of keeping a number on hand to sample different blends like JP suggested and to otherwise expand the rotation. Looking forward to my my first dance with a cob, later today if I can swing it.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a couple MM cobs and I never really had a break in process. I just load them up and Im good to go.. I have had them a couple years now and they still smoke great.. Worst case scenario if you ruin one some how you can just spend a giant 5 bucks and get another!

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I would say the first smoke can have a slight off taste when your burning of that lacquer that they are dipped in. I have gotten a couple from CVS that we way heavily coated for friends when they want to try some of my tobacco.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Barley, great idea.

Try the filters, with & without over a period of time & you decide.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Toss the cob and smoke the filter! :lol:

On second thought, if you're going camping, reserve the cob for the purpose it served in earlier times. :rofl:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've found that without the filter I smoke my cob too fast and hot. It's probably because I'm only an occasional puffer.
I've ordered a forever stem to see if that helps.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yup. Those stems make all the difference. Even those budget after-market plastic stems on eBay are a vast improvement.

I wonder why MM doesn't upgrade their stem quality -- if only a little bit (excuse the pun).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
False economy. I resist buying them mainly because of the stem quality. Going to a 2nd party to make the product right

is a big PITA. Maybe they could offer a deluxe version of their cobs with a slightly better stem for an extra buck or two. :wink:

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Just finished my first smoke in a MM. Bit of an issue getting things going due to some moist baccy and my beginner bowl packing skills, but once things were underway it was very enjoyable. Used the filter and don't think it had an impact. Anyway, in a few days I'll be sitting on a rock in a lake in the middle of nowhere rocking my cob -- er, that didn't sound too good, but you know what I mean. Thanks for all the feedback :D

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Rock out with your cob out!
I love clenching a cob while grilling or driving. Hows that Brigham VaPer treating you?

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I always take the filter out when I buy one that comes with a filter. They don't require a "break in" like a briar, but a new MM cob will have a slight sweet taste for the first couple bowls until the corn carbonizes. Also, you will notice a woody taste at the bottom of the bowl until the stem finishes becoming fully charred.
If you notice that you end up with too much dottle (because the draft hole is too high) or a mushy bottom on one that doesn't have the hardwood insert you'll want to look up how to use pipemud to fix those issues.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
sell a "premium" MM Cob ... oh wait, Dave Wolff/Walker Briar Works, Cob Snob, others already do that.

If value added retailers can make a profitable go of it, I should think the original manufacturer could find a way.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Hey Jah. Brigham's Tudor Mix, allegedly a VaPer, is proving a little light on the Perique for my taste. Was looking for a bit of a lighter smoke but this too light.
Thanks for the tips ciderguy.

Status
Not open for further replies.