PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
Confession: one of my favorite pipes is a box pipe. $35 and it smokes and travels as well as my name brand pipes. Anyone else have a good experience with box pipes?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Probably my favourite smoker at the moment was a basket pipe from my local B&M. Smokes like a dream!

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
My first pipe was a basket pipe and it still smokes very well. I was given a Zulu basket pipe and it is always in the rotation.
Jason

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
basket pipes can be a hidden treasure when it comes to the " good smoker " cat. I have a few that I bought off of Ebay for under $10.00 and they smoke like a champ.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Many memorable smokes from a Medico squat bulldog. No such luck with a beautiful Kaywoodie.

But I started collecting Preben Holm and some other Danish handmade pipes and never looked back.

I keep threatening to buy some Carey and Grabow pipes, but somehow I end up blowing all my dough

on higher grade pipes. I admit though, that name recognition has a lot to do with my choices.

Those humble everyman pipes have much to commend them.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My first pipe was a Medico Varsity about 30$ and it's a great smoker its in my rotation always.
I also own a Medico Varsity, one of my first two pipes. It is old and has sentimental value. It still smokes great and I save it for aromatics. It is my favorite camping/fishing pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have three "basket" pipes that I picked up about 30 years ago.

I repurposed them into churchwardens when I first got them.

One of the three is smoked almost daily.

I have no complaints, they have been and remain valued and loyal friends.
longboys-1-600x450.jpg

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have a $15 basket pipe from Iwan Ries and the thing is excellent every time. A few other cheap ones I have tend to be the ones I grab when I go on fishing or camping trips and don't really use otherwise...Luck of the draw sometimes!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Lawrence, where did you get those stems? also, what do you have to do to fit them properly?

redinthehead

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Las Vegas
If you know what to look for you can pick a pretty good pipe from a basket.
My two briars are basket pipes. One of them is a great smoker, no complaints. My churchwarden gets really hot, and smokes a bit wet. Although I suspect that may be partially my fault.
Anyways, I have had my eyes on others there since they are all under $50. Could you educate a newbie on what to look for to help ensure a good pipe? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :puffy:

rockrat

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Ok...dumb question time guys... I know what a "basket" pipe is, but what is a "box" pipe? Does it mean the same thing essentially? Sorry! :)

rockrat

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Ah...thanks rothnh...I really like when I see those type of displays...the cards on a wall, with pipes on them.. Reminds me of by-gone days.....not really that long ago actually... :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lawrence, where did you get those stems? also, what do you have to do to fit them properly?
Welcome aboard Olewaylon.

I just asked Skip (the proprietor of The Briary) to have the churchwarden stems put on them.

I told him make them as long as they could and bend to look good.

$8 or $10 dollars for the pipe, about $20 to have a stem fitted.

I'm not sure who he uses, but he has done a great job on everything I needed work on over these many years.
I'm sure some of the Members here can offer suggestions for the stems.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
What? I'd SO MUCH love to have some of my pipes re-stemmed to Churchwardens! Where can I find Skip?

Status
Not open for further replies.