PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Ok....I got it....I'm all over it......I found the solution. Case closed. Everybody go home now.
Finned bowl by Porsche Design.
hail.gif

PorscheDesign.jpg

drif.gif

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
It would stand to reason that a straight grain would be able to transfer heat better as the densities would remain the same on a molecular level . The trick would be to see the varibles for tight and loose densities from one briar root to the next . As no two pipes of the same size weigh the same . The bottom of the bowl retains the most heat as this is the core , gases farther up the bowl would become cooler . Hence a conical shaped bowl would smoke cooler than a cylinder shaped one .We need grant money or at least Raytek to kick in some freebies . Lets apply vacuum varibles next . lol

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
After seeing the Porsche design, now I want to get a block of briar and machine out a bowl to go on my Quiet Comrade that looks exactly like my kart racing engine. The cooling fins for the air cooled motor would work perfectly on a bowl.

kt100.jpg

Or a radial finned head would be great too. (yes, bear with me, it's the perfect combination of pipes and kart racing) :)

YamahaRotary.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Is PipesMagazine.com still giving away a Nørding freehand for the best forum thread of the year?
Man, I need a real pipe. That would be awesome to get. I won't be able to sleep tonite thinking about it....LOL

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
speaking of infra-red technology, anyone with a hand held laser beam pyrometer can have that in one hand and fire it to the side of the bowl and never have to worry about having a thermocouple lead maintaining contact with the bowl.
An interesting thought! I used to write for an R/C car magazine and we had these little hand held infrared thermometers for tuning engines. I've thought recently about picking one up again and experimenting with one to test my different pipes. I think I will do it!
FYI, as nifty as the Porsche pipes are, they don't smoke any cooler than any other pipe. THe one I had smoked hot. It was like holding a running Volkswagen engine in your hands.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great idea Haunted; much more practical than the photo or video infrared idea I had in mind. I've even seen ads on TV for infrared medical thermometers, thought they probably don't have the necessary bandwidth.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'll try to find the picture of the custom pipe that was made to look like a old Shure broadcast microphone from the 60's as it had all the slots all around it.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Now that I'm trying out different blends almost every night, I haven't noticed hardly any difference in the temp of the outside of the bowl. I'm going to dust off my K-type thermocouple and Fluke meter to get some temp readings throughout the burn cycle.
I love the old ad you found..like I've said before, " If you can think of something, most likely it's already been made"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like it too. Hobie, do you have an attribution or any info on it? It makes me wonder why we don't see pipes depicting automobile radiator grills. Here, I'm thinking Edsel, Mercedes, Rolls...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the link. That guy is an amazing artist. He'd be a good candidate for a magazine feature story.
There are some Art Deco looking pipes at www.smokingmetal.co.uk

sample04.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Update on bowl temps.....I have been trying out the Daves Delight blend from the Tinder Box and there must be a 30 degree difference in the outside bowl temperature from all the other blends I've tried the past several weeks. I haven't got my K-type thermocouple fixed yet but this blend is the only one that doesn't make me switch hands that I hold the pipe with, because of my fingers getting to hot.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Update: I have been noticing that my thicker bowl model pipes still have a lower outside wall temperature. My Peterson XL23 is likely to be the coolest smoker I have to date.

PetersonXL23.jpg

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Holy crap hobie and cortez. You just gave my AMEX apoplectic shock--those pictures of the streamliner and shure pipes spell A-D-D-I-C-T for me. :crazy: I'll be on eBay til i find one...

Status
Not open for further replies.