PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
OK this is getting pretty old if I am not hitting my pipe it is going out right now. I have read ten articles and watched 20 videos I am pretty sure it is packing it if it goes right out is it to lose or to tight any help please!!!!

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I've only started smoking a couple months ago but most of the time my pipe has gone out it wasn't because it was packed too tight or too light. It was usually because I took too long between drags, or I didn't have an even light. my only tip would be to light up, tamp it and relight. This has always let me smoke the bowl without going out. but as you said if it is the packing I would say too tight. might be smothering the ember. Correct me if im wrong though.

hope this helps =D

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the other thing to keep in mind is do not tamp to hard. If you are putting pressure on the tobacco you are packing it tighter to the bottom and not letting air to flow easily through the bottom of the bowl. Let the weight of the tamper do its job.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Tamping technique is critical to keeping a pipe lit.

To a lesser degree, the type of tobacco smoked.

One must pay close attention to the pressure used as mentioned by Surfmac.

But, I would take it a step farther, and suggest that puffing while tamping will help in recovering an ember and give you better feedback on controlling your tamping pressure employed.
You may find a gem or two in my blog Dottle Diggers that may help with tamping technique.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
No judgment on too loose or too tight, but you may want to give this a whirl, it's how I learned:
Pack a pipe like you would normally, then dump out all the contents onto a paper towel or napkin and take about 1/4 of the amount away from this small pile and put the rest back into the jar, tin, pouch or bag. Use this 3/4 pile remaining to pack your pipe.
While it is on the paper towel or napkin, it may be be advantageous to ensure it's dry to the touch, not dry to the point of crumbling, and not moist to the point of clumping together when you pinch the tobacco. The amount of moisture may be inhibiting an even burn too...so until you find your own level of desired tobacco moisture, you may want to go more on the drier side for the tobacco you are putting into the pipe.
Then, repack your pipe with the 3/4 amount on your paper towel, going loose toward the bottom, making a very fragile nest inside at the foot of the bowl. Then apply the next layer, press gently with your tamper or your finger, being very economical with the amount of pressure. Alternate packing and tamping (I still rely on the three layer or multi-layer method) until you are out of your pile or you reach the top.
The tobacco should be just about at the rim and yield a springiness when pushed down with your finger or tamper. Put the stem in your mouth, give a test draw. If it's too loose, there will be zero resistance...too tight and you'll hurt your cheeks, just right is like sipping a soda through a straw. Here's an ideal time for a note of caution: Too loose and you'll get tongue burn.
Perform the charring or false light...this step is generally complete when most if not all of the visible tobacco seems blackened and you're getting a pretty good amount of mouth smoke. Some tobacco may "poke" out over the rim just a bit as it becomes charred. That's okay. After noting or observing the right amount of char, let it go out.
Now, just ever so gently, crush the carbonized tobacco on the top, twisting just a little, using just a little more pressure than you would if trying to remove an eyelash the eye of a loved one. The tobacco should be just below the rim.
Re-light, making sure to bring the source of flame all around the circumference and middle of the tobacco and gently draw while it's lighting. Drawing or "hooting" too hard, and you'll get tongue burn, perhaps a follow-on gurgle, and at times an unpleasant taste. The key here is to slowly sip, especially if you are smoking a heavily cased or virgina based blend. Also as an aside, slow and steady may prevent burnout (the walls of your pipe begin to burn). For me, I tend to draw every eight to ten seconds or so, and I learned my best rate by not keeping the pipe in my mouth. I held it in my hand until I developed the right drawing tempo, only then would I clench while typing or driving, etc.
When to tamp? If you'll notice, at first you'll have a good amount of smoke, and as the tobacco burns, you get less and less. Right before the smoke get's thin and wispy, here is where you tamp. But go lightly at first, gently crushing and slightly, ever so slightly twisting the tamp to ensure the burning portion or embers are lightly distributed and introduced to the amount of unburned, but warming tobacco below.
Go slow and monitor your rate of draw. For some, they smoke a pipe like a billows, and hey, that's cool. But starting out, I found it best to follow the above routine to keep the pipe a-fire. When relighting, tamp gently, then introduce flame, draw, and sip.
In closing, a pipe is like a murmured whisper while a cigarette or cigar is like a shout. It's okay to re-light and you'll see, as time progresses, you'll get better and one day, have a complete pipe consumed with just two or three lights. Slow, steady, patience and practice and I think you'll see the flavor obtained from each smoke is better, more complex, and something to savor, while making the pipe what it's meant to be, an experience.
Later,
Archer

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, that's about as well organized and comprehensive a description as I think I've ever read. Key point that I noticed is the light twist while tamping -- which I found myself doing, and thought was an original idea. (I guess it's not.)
As to the original question: "Is it too loose or too tight?" The answer is "Yes".

Everything varies with tobacco genre, tobacco cut, amendments, wind, and pipe geometry. That's probably why this is more of a hobby and pastime, and not just a vehicle for nicotine consumption. From the initial complaint I would suspect too wide a chamber diameter. Sustaining an ember across more than ¾" or 19mm is challenging for everybody.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks guys! Damn archer maybe these guys can make you a contributor to the blogs

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That was great Archer. You should do some blogging here if you are so inclined.
The only thing I can add is to push a pipe cleaner all the way through if you can't draw air. That's a quick easy fix when a pipe becomes difficult to smoke.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Lovely piece Archer.
The answer is in what people have advised in this post, but more importantly it is a simple thing called PRACTICE. Try different methods, eventually you'll find the one that suits you. Take it from me, when you find it, it's as good as winning the lottery.
Don't give up, try different methods (even once you've found one that has worked).
And always remember, We were all in the same boat as you once.

Status
Not open for further replies.