PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think you are holding out on all of us - :col:View attachment 286827

Mash doesn’t care if it’s made in Canada or Mexico but aging raw white liquor in a charred oak barrel to where it tastes like good bourbon has to be done in a climate with lots of hot days and cold days, to get the whiskey circulating in and out of the barrel.

Kentucky and parts of Tennessee are ideal for making bourbon.

Missouri makes bourbon,,,,.barely. It’s possible.

We also make wine,,,barely.

Make mine from Bardstown, or close to it.

Reactions: thesmokindragon

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Buffalo trace has a great collection of bourbons... but good luck finding them. For readily available labels, I always recommend four roses. They have a strong history and stick to their four main labels, all high qualities of bourbon for fair prices.

I don't differentiate bourbons from whiskeys, scotches, or ryes... so...

These are just a few of my tasting notes...

Ardbeg 10 - Very latakia like, awful when sipped, but it makes a good Islay Old Fashioned 50/100
Bulliet Bourbon - Caramel, sweet with hints of spice and coconut. 90/100
Redemption Rye - Caramel, a little heat, rich on the mouth feel 88/100
Paddy - Thin, delicate, nutty, slightly vanillay, woody, and dry 79/100
Coopers Craft Reserve - Thick on the mouth, oaky, brown sugar, sweet, and hints of vanilla pudding 95/100
Glenmorangie 10 - Slightly sweet, thin, smooth, hints of vanilla and citrus 95/100
Four Roses Small Batch - Rich, semisweet, notes of vanilla, cocoa, and herbs. 96/100
Widow Jane aged 10 years - Caramel with a lot of fusel taste, rich, oily, sweet and only slight vanilla notes from the oak. Pretty good, but not worth the damned price. 91/100
Nobel Oak Double Oak Barrel- Kind of harsh, the spice is subtle. Best with a small ice cube. 83/100
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond - Vanilla, rich, and pretty damned drinkable for a cheapy. 89/100
Jack Daniel Tennessee Honey - I couldn't make myself swallow this swill, but my wife and daughters liked it, saying that it tasted like pralines. I conclude that a vagina is required to drink this shit. 65/100
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - I get a little of the wine taste from the barrels, but it is in the middle, not the initial taste on tongue, nor the after taste. But, its definitely an aged scotch all the way down. Slightly sweet, rich, think mouthfeel, with no burn. 98/100
Jack Daniels Old No 7 - damned drinkable, and for the price, damn again. Light banana pudding on the nose, vanilla, yeasty, with a char aftertaste. 100/100
Gentleman Jack - I get it that this bananas aroma is a Jack Daniels thing, probably the way they mash. Even better than Old No 7, but buying it makes you look like a frat boy with no sense of taste, ha ha. 105/100

I have taste notes on 22 others, but these were most notable, just my opinion.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

Ardbeg 10 - Very latakia like, awful when sipped, but it makes a good Islay Old Fashioned 50/100
Coopers Craft Reserve - Thick on the mouth, oaky, brown sugar, sweet, and hints of vanilla pudding 95/100
Glenmorangie 10 - Slightly sweet, thin, smooth, hints of vanilla and citrus 95/100
Four Roses Small Batch - Rich, semisweet, notes of vanilla, cocoa, and herbs. 96/100
Widow Jane aged 10 years - Caramel with a lot of fusel taste, rich, oily, sweet and only slight vanilla notes from the oak. Pretty good, but not worth the damned price. 91/100
Nobel Oak Double Oak Barrel- Kind of harsh, the spice is subtle. Best with a small ice cube. 83/100
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond - Vanilla, rich, and pretty damned drinkable for a cheapy. 89/100
Jack Daniel Tennessee Honey - I couldn't make myself swallow this swill, but my wife and daughters liked it, saying that it tasted like pralines. I conclude that a vagina is required to drink this shit. 65/100
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - I get a little of the wine taste from the barrels, but it is in the middle, not the initial taste on tongue, nor the after taste. But, its definitely an aged scotch all the way down. Slightly sweet, rich, think mouthfeel, with no burn. 98/100
Jack Daniels Old No 7 - damned drinkable, and for the price, damn again. Light banana pudding on the nose, vanilla, yeasty, with a char aftertaste. 100/100
Gentleman Jack - I get it that this bananas aroma is a Jack Daniels thing, probably the way they mash. Even better than Old No 7, but buying it makes you look like a frat boy with no sense of taste, ha ha. 105/100

Nice review of these, cosmic. For some reason, I had negative assumptions about JD... not sure why. Then, a few years ago I visited the Jameson brewery in Dublin. I was part of a blind tasting group, one of the whiskeys in the mix was JD. It was the best of the lot. Of course, I lied and said Jameson was better. Hey, I got a free shot glass out of it ;)

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Nice review of these, cosmic. For some reason, I had negative assumptions about JD... not sure why. Then, a few years ago I visited the Jameson brewery in Dublin. I was part of a blind tasting group, one of the whiskeys in the mix was JD. It was the best of the lot. Of course, I lied and said Jameson was better. Hey, I got a free shot glass out of it ;)
Jack Daniels hasn't been the number one best selling whisky for 150 for nothing. But, being so damned drinkable, it is too easy to get carried away.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
For me I try to avoid anything from Indiana. That MGP stuff is used in everything. I want to see the skill of the distiller. So for me what is believe to be MGP free is Four Roses Small Batch Select and in the Rye category Maryland Rye Sagamore which had been MGP but is not now. They just started about 5 or 6 years back I think give or take. To make a properly aged rye takes time so they used MGP until theirs was aged well enough. I also grab Litchfield Distillery Port aged and double bourbons which is a local joint here in CT. Oh and there was a place in Tempe Az called Arizona Distillery making a bourbon with Arizona wheat and other stuff. That's a great local joint too.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
For me I try to avoid anything from Indiana. That MGP stuff is used in everything. I want to see the skill of the distiller. So for me what is believe to be MGP free is Four Roses Small Batch Select and in the Rye category Maryland Rye Sagamore which had been MGP but is not now. They just started about 5 or 6 years back I think give or take. To make a properly aged rye takes time so they used MGP until theirs was aged well enough. I also grab Litchfield Distillery Port aged and double bourbons which is a local joint here in CT. Oh and there was a place in Tempe Az called Arizona Distillery making a bourbon with Arizona wheat and other stuff. That's a great local joint too.
I was born and raised in the town that MGP built, Atchison, Ks. It employs the vast majority of the locals. We simply referred to it as "Midwest". The entire town smells like low mash (beer) in the warmer months, it's not as pleasant as it sounds. Nearly all of my family was employed by MGP at one point, my dad was a pipefitter for MGP for probably 10 years before moving to the railroad (serving MGP) and my grandfather worked for MGP form the end of WWII to the time he retired in the late 1070's.

They started out making industrial alcohol with alcohol for consumption being only a low yield byproduct sent to its subsidiary McCormick (now Holiday) Distillery in Weston, Mo.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
The Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof are definitely a step up within the lineup if you enjoy bourbon and rye neat or with some ice. Nothing wrong with a Jack No7 and Diet Coke as well.

Reactions: JOHN72

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I was born and raised in the town that MGP built, Atchison, Ks. It employs the vast majority of the locals. We simply referred to it as "Midwest". The entire town smells like low mash (beer) in the warmer months, it's not as pleasant as it sounds. Nearly all of my family was employed by MGP at one point, my dad was a pipefitter for MGP for probably 10 years before moving to the railroad (serving MGP) and my grandfather worked for MGP form the end of WWII to the time he retired in the late 1070's.

They started out making industrial alcohol with alcohol for consumption being only a low yield byproduct sent to its subsidiary McCormick (now Holiday) Distillery in Weston, Mo.
Very happy to hear this.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

In previous posts, you mentioned liking low end bourbon better than top shelf as a result of your tastings.

I tend to drink economy bourbon, like Kessler, Ten High, Evan Williams, and Ezra Brooks (with the last two punching well above their weight class for my pedestrian tastes).

Have you reviewed any of the above?

Full disclosure, I was president of a fraternity (yes, I bought my friends) and found this license plate amazing since the driver has good tastes:

20220709_121536.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts

Great reviews. Your take on both Glenmorangie products is right on the money. Both are really good scotch for not crazy money. I love the Quinta Ruban, especially in the Fall and winter. I think the Noble Oak rye is a bit better than you rated it and I like it more than Bulleit and Redemption. But, preference is Personal. Nice job and would like to see your other reviews. Your thoughts on Cooper put it on my list for the future.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
In previous posts, you mentioned liking low end bourbon better than top shelf as a result of your tastings.

I tend to drink economy bourbon, like Kessler, Ten High, Evan Williams, and Ezra Brooks (with the last two punching well above their weight class for my pedestrian tastes).

Have you reviewed any of the above?

Full disclosure, I was president of a fraternity (yes, I bought my friends) and found this license plate amazing since the driver has good tastes:

View attachment 287226
Of those you mentioned, Even Williams was the only one I’ve tried. The main reason I didn’t post all of the reviews is that I switched Apps for reviewing, and the rest are on my PC. I will post more when I get more time at home.

For the record EW is my favorite bourbon and Sazerac is my favorite Rye. Jack Daniels I liked so much that I don’t keep it around. Too easy to drink.