PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter dave

Might Stick Around
Feb 22, 2020
Dillsboro indiana
Stopped in at boswells pipe shop in Chambersburg PA today. I have six of his pipes, one I bought from him and the rest on eBay. His pipes are reasonably priced but everything else is outrageous. I like his tobacco but 6 dollars a ounce for northwoods and then a big tax on top of that, I bought six ounces but that’s the last time. Think I will just stick to Maltese falcon, just as good. I bought some berry cobbler and that was five a ounce plus big take. I think I will just let you rich people buy his tobacco. I also looked at a xikar lighter and he wanted 100 dollars , where does this guy come up with these prices. What do you think?????

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
where does this guy come up with these prices. What do you think?????
I would imagine it’s a simple formula of his overhead, his tax and regulatory burden, and the value he places on his time, applied to what he wants to earn from taking the time and effort to run a small business. If he gets it right, he succeeds. If he gets it wrong, he fails fast. So far he has succeeded.

Reactions: trouttimes

Hunter dave

Might Stick Around
Feb 22, 2020
Dillsboro indiana
Yeah, it’s called “running a business is expensive, and he has to pay for a physical store and keep the lights on”. If you don’t like it, no shame in not buying, but I sincerely doubt Boswell got into the business to gouge people.
He makes 7 pipes a day and can’t hardly keep them in stock, he has a good business. He doesn’t need to rape people on his other stuff. Must be doing well opened another store where he has a 5000 sq ft work shop

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
See, the deal with voluntary transactions is, you don’t have to buy it if you think you won’t get at least as much value as the cost of the item. Pipe tobacco is about the cheapest luxury out there, and with pipe stores a rarity these days, I’m ok with paying a premium in order to buy some from an actual store/actual person who puts his name behind his products.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Great folks. Great service. Nice lounge. Great tin selection. Decent pipes. Good house aromatics. Lots of other smoking related paraphernalia. Well maintained location with plenty of parking. These things cost money to maintain.

The tobacco is a bit pricey, but in this day and age Boswells is a true tobacconist and worth paying a bit of a premium IMHO. The PA tax man doesn’t help with the costs for sure.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Stopped in at boswells pipe shop in Chambersburg PA today. I have six of his pipes, one I bought from him and the rest on eBay. His pipes are reasonably priced but everything else is outrageous. I like his tobacco but 6 dollars a ounce for northwoods and then a big tax on top of that, I bought six ounces but that’s the last time. Think I will just stick to Maltese falcon, just as good. I bought some berry cobbler and that was five a ounce plus big take. I think I will just let you rich people buy his tobacco. I also looked at a xikar lighter and he wanted 100 dollars , where does this guy come up with these prices. What do you think?????
This doesn't seem out of alignment with prices that I have paid at other pipe and cigar stores that I have visited. It's easy to forget what retail prices really are when purchasing online at discounted prices. Store/MSRP prices typically includes things like local excise taxes (for purchasing locally), overhead, and ambiance/in-store benefits (e.g., smoking lounge, sometimes free beverages, sometimes a "free"/included tobacco sampling), etc. I'm a very thrifty person, but I set my expectations and budget accordingly when visiting a physical tobacco store when traveling.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
I had an incredibly different view of his store personally, I was happy to be a in a brick and mortar shop that actually catered to pipe smokers instead of cigars and had a fantastic selection while being knowledgeable, and eager to speak with customers. It is definitely cheaper to buy online, but when I can get to his part of the state, I’m happy to stock up.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
He doesn’t need to rape people on his other stuff.

Rape?!? That's the word you want to use to complain about Boswell's? First, your perception of high prices for a luxury product is not "rape." Second, Boswell's has been stalwart in a rapidly dying world for the independent pipe maker and tobacconist. Do tell that fella in the mirror to get his head out of his ass.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017

I think Boswell's pipe operation is a national treasure. I visited their shop several times, even though I live well over 500 miles away. The Boswells are friendly, welcoming, and always willing to visit with you about pipes and tobacco. The store is even more remarkable because it is a pipe shop first and those have become a very rare commodity. I own roughly two dozen Boswell pipes and they are all excellent smokers; well suited to my large hands. I also enjoy Boswell's tobacco. No, it isn't the cheapest option, but, as with most things I purchase for pleasure, I am happy to trade my money for a quality product. I also appreciate that Boswell's mix their own tobacco, rather than just rebranding offerings from large belnding houses. I keep a selection of their tobaccos on hand, including: Northwoods, Imperial English, and Countryside, and, to be perfectly frank, I would rather have those blends than the total of all the Esoterica Tobacciana products on the planet.

Without putting too fine a point on it, I completely disagree with your assessment. I believe the Boswells work hard to provide pipe smokers with a quality product at a fair price and they are more than worthy of our support.

Cheers,

Chili

Reactions: tomatamot

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I visit a lot and I've found that his prices are right in line with all the other area pipe shops. Wait, there are no other area pipe shops. (JB Hayes, 100 miles South in VA). His prices are right in line with JB Hayes, from visits to both.
I must add that Matthew Hayes is always a pleasure to do business with.

Oct 7, 2016
Boswell isn’t a discounter. Even though he was one of the very early shops to establish a web site, in the late 1990’s, he never has been a discounter, on line or at his physical location. Aside from his pipe making operation, he follows a traditional brick and mortar mark up pattern as far as I can tell.

I checked Friday night around midnight, saw he had Boxes of 1792 Flake at $47.98 or so plus $6.50 shipping, and pulled the trigger for one. Got a tracking number by noon Saturday, the package arrived today (Monday). My previous order for two boxes of Kendal Plug arrived just as quickly. Takes Pay Pal. No worries about merchandise disappearing from your cart. Those were my first orders from them in many years, I will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.