PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I've owned both and would choose Tinsky. The Boswell family make their place a special place to visit and hang out and they sell a ton of pipes, but as pipestud stated their styles are very different. Tinsky's pipes are more refined and offer a wider variety of shapes and finishes, where as Boswell pushes out their pipes at a faster pace which probably explains the differences. Both tend to smoke well.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't have either so I can't speak to them really. I do know people that have a pipe from either brand tend to have multiple of them.
Personally I'd go for a Tinsky, because the Boswell pipes have gotten bigger and chunkier which isn't really my bowl of tobacco.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I would say Tinsky as well. I was looking at one for myself until I saw my Ardor and had to have it instead. He's got quite a few listed that I really like and are priced very well. I've seen a few Boswell's that I would have liked to purchase, but they got disappeared before I did. I do also agree that you're talking two completely different styles and when I get ready, I do plan owning one of each, but I'm likely to purchase the Tinsky first.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I've got more than a dozen of each and like them all. My Tinsky's are all sandblasted and generally small, and my Bozzies are mostly rusticated and generally large. Whichever you choose--you're going to walk away with a nice, American-made pipe at a great value.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I have several of both and hands down I reach for a Tinsky over a Boswell 99% of the time. Boswell does make some nice pipes, but the Tinsky craftsmanship is always on point.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Hands down Tinsky, I have 3 of his pipes and all 3 are excellent. I had two Boswell’s and they were terrible couple that they appeared to be carved with a hack saw. I will never own another.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I cast my vote for Boswell. I have more than a dozen and they're all fine smokers.
Cheers,
Chili

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own either, but Tinsky has the more established reputation as this thread illustrates.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I own several Boswells and can testify that for me, they are just great smokes. I do not own a Tinksy, and would love to, and maybe I will have a mad PAD soon and jump in the Tinsky pool.
But as for smokability, my Boswells are hard to beat. Yeah, some are fairly large, but the freehands are works of art in my estimation. The grain always pops. The walls are thick to give a cool smoke.
For the money, I don't think you can beat a Boswell.
And, yes, the family is just a delight to work with. And, BTW, they have some wonderful tobacco blends.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Wow, thanks guys. Amazing comments. As I guessed both are pretty popular, but looks like Tinsky gets more votes here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.