PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
B & M brand also known as New England baked beans with brown bread was or still is a staple for that area. What is unusual is the Brown Bread a molasses based, dense, moist bread that comes in a sealed can about double the size of a soup can. The bread is steam baked in the can and is removed by cutting both ends and pushed out. Beans are sometimes served over the thick slices or severed separately with toppings like cream cheese. The product is hard to find and is expensive on line but well worth the price.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The bread sounds awesome - I've experimented with recipes for molasses in bread and can turn out some pretty good, individual "steakhouse" loaves for holiday meals.

Reactions: David D. Davidson

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Its in bigger chain grocery stores in CT. Excellent. Similar to brown bread ... Does anyone remember or seen date nut bread anymore ? It was cellophane wrapped and stores used to sell it around this time but I hven't seen it in several years. Curious if its still made ...

Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Usually keep baked bean cans in my pantry for a quick meal. Haven't seen B&M down here, but Bush's ain't too bad. Pop the can and eat them straight out of it cold.

Reactions: Kobold

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Usually keep baked bean cans in my pantry for a quick meal. Haven't seen B&M down here, but Bush's ain't too bad. Pop the can and eat them straight out of it cold.
B &M has been the traditional blend in Boston (they make the canned brown bread as well) but Bush's beans are excellent , especially the brown sugar version. A great Boston saying about a person who is putting on airs or thinks they are a big deal : " he forgot that he used to eat hot dogs and beans every Saturday night "...

Reactions: bullet08

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Beans. Good for your heart and make you fart. I love a can of Heinz Baked Beans on toast with a fried egg on top. As has been commented elsewhere the gas effect can be pretty stunning especially in older folk.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Love the bread, especially. I prefer the type with raisins,. though. There's a TON of childhood nostalgia for me in a meal of Kraft's Dinner (Mac 'n' Cheese), B&M Baked Beans, and B&M Brown Bread. It was probably a weekly meal for us in the '60s and '70s. My older brother, after years of coaxing, got me to try mixing the beans mixed with the Mac 'n' Cheese. Pretty darned good. I still have it a couple times a year and always check the grocery shelves to see if the raisin brown bread is in-stock.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
B&M! Love the brown bread, don't eat beans.

"B&M baked beans.... baked in ovens, not -sssssssssss- steamed in cans!"

Does no one recognize the words to their main radio ad??

Last edited:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Beans and brown bread was my Saturday dinner for the first sixteen years of my life.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
B & M brand also known as New England baked beans with brown bread was or still is a staple for that area. What is unusual is the Brown Bread a molasses based, dense, moist bread that comes in a sealed can about double the size of a soup can. The bread is steam baked in the can and is removed by cutting both ends and pushed out. Beans are sometimes served over the thick slices or severed separately with toppings like cream cheese. The product is hard to find and is expensive on line but well worth the price.
My favorite baked beans, from a jar or can.