PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
So I am exploring the wold of aromatics after a lifetime spent smoking mainly flakes. I always enjoyed Players Whiskey Flake (sadly long gone) and I have a soft spot for whiskey flavored blends. Borkum Riff gets a bad press generally, but I thought I would revisit it in its latest incarnation, (Black Cavendish taking the place of Burley) having tried it last in the 1990s. I was somewhat prepared to be disappointed, and was in actuality pleasantly surprised. On opening the pouch, I was met by an aroma reminiscent of Clan with an obvious boozy overtone and some implication of vanilla and sherry cask type sweetness. It is not a gloopy American style aromatic, but more akin to Dutch and Scandinavian mixtures. It needs little drying and packs easily. It lights fairly easily too and smokes down to a fine white ash. The flavour is sweet and has a tangy edge provided by the bright virginias, with a citrus note complementing that of the Bourbon flavour of the Cavendish. The room note is actually noticeable whilst smoking and is very pleasant and lingers a fair while. I enjoyed the experience overall and it makes a pleasant diversion from VaPer and Straight Virginias. I can see it biting the novice and unwary smoker, but applying the breath method will help keep it in check. Not the absolute best tobacco, but far from the firey demon that it is made out to be.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: Fresh

Purchased From: Smoke King UK.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any on hand right now, but I've enjoyed Borkum Riff Bourbon. I like whisky aromatics, and that's a pretty good one.

Reactions: yanoJL

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I got a pouch of the “Bourbon Mixture” as a complete newb and found it bitey, but not bad. Rather than wait to see if it was me or the blend, I mixed in a little Lane Black Raspberry and jarred it.
I really like it with a bit of the berry, but it’s now a little too “aromatic” as the season warms into summer.

Reactions: yanoJL

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
I got a pouch of the “Bourbon Mixture” as a complete newb and found it bitey, but not bad. Rather than wait to see if it was me or the blend, I mixed in a little Lane Black Raspberry and jarred it.
I really like it with a bit of the berry, but it’s now a little too “aromatic” as the season warms into summer.

If you try it again, remember that it is largely composed of Virginia and that can burn a bit hot. The solution is to light it very gently, (literally caress it with the flame) and then tamp gently. Second light usually is good to go. Don't fill too tightly and don't draw too hard on it. The tobacco in my pouch is true Goldilocks as far as moisture is concerned so less chance of a steamy smoke burning your tongue. Lastly no need to freight train this one. It smokes best at a gentle smoulder. Look for videos on youtube on the breath method. It can transform how you smoke and enable you to taste much more.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I was going to contribute a review on the Borkum Riff Bourbon since I'm just finishing a pouch of it but yours absolutely nailed it! I agree with your review 100% and I can't for the life of me understand why this blend gets do much 1 star hate directed it towards it? I did find that with the heavy VA component it burned a touch hot, but no bite to speak of for me, and it's easy enough to adjust cadence. I found that I really enjoyed this in a new pipe, I found the bourbon flavor really shone through. I also tried it in a cob and it was really great through a cob.

I am enjoying this blend a lot more than I expected to, really nice classic blend I can see why some old timers have stuck with it for decades. It's definitely on my rebuy list.

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
I was going to contribute a review on the Borkum Riff Bourbon since I'm just finishing a pouch of it but yours absolutely nailed it! I agree with your review 100% and I can't for the life of me understand why this blend gets do much 1 star hate directed it towards it? I did find that with the heavy VA component it burned a touch hot, but no bite to speak of for me, and it's easy enough to adjust cadence. I found that I really enjoyed this in a new pipe, I found the bourbon flavor really shone through. I also tried it in a cob and it was really great through a cob.

I am enjoying this blend a lot more than I expected to, really nice classic blend I can see why some old timers have stuck with it for decades. It's definitely on my rebuy list.
Thanks for the kind words. I tried it on a whim and it has become an instant favorite and the one I reach for the most. I am only sorry that the 7oz cans are not available in the UK. It is indeed a good choice for breaking in a new pipe. Cool, sweet and tasty to the bottom of the bowl. Lack of tongue bite is its attraction for me too. I find it really excells in a small bowl for a 30-40 min smoke. Moisture is perfect too. Just stuff and puff !

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
The Borkum Boutbon bit me pretty hard, I've found that the Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish agrees with me a lot more.
Thanks for that. Sadly unobtanium in the UK. I also believe that body chemistry has a lot to do with tongue bite when smoking a certain blend. I have a hard time with Burley.