PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
The Dumb@ss of the Day Award goes to…. me.

A week or so ago, I received a pipe rack that included a glass “humidor” and 5 pipes. 3 Grabow’s, an unknown with a bell-like stamp. And a Medico Apollo. Not a bad haul for fairly cheap.

I’ve been cleaning them up and got the Apollo almost back to new. Except for a little chatter on the stem. Chatter that would have been perfectly fine being left as is. But I didn’t. I just had to try to remove it.

First I tried running a flame over it. That had very little result and smoked just a hair, so I stopped this route. But wait! I read somewhere about sticking stems momentarily in boiling water! This seems like a perfectly simple and relatively safe solution! Alright!

I did not look further into this. I relied on my memory of a very short off-hand remark. I think we all know where this is going.

So, with little knowledge and buckets of confidence, I proceeded to set a pot a-boil and dipped chattered stem in. I counted to five. And… oh no! What have I done!!!

This. This is what I’ve done.
IMG_1410.jpeg

I have essentially destroyed the stem. It still draws air through. But it’s flattened and maimed and, well, just plain ugly.

I’m kicking myself less now and chalking it up as a learning experience. I’m even keeping the daggum thing as a reminder. It was pretty much a freebie, and has no emotional connection to it, so I can’t be too upset. But I am humbled. And know better for the next time I have an unjustified bout of confidence.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and got a kick out of my silly mistake! I’m finding the humor in it… now.

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
I should add that these absolutely are set aside as “practice” pipes. Just wanting to learn a little bit about restoring. As the saying goes, you learn more from failure than success.

Still, what a first attempt at more than stripping and sanitizing😂😂😂🙈

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It is an inexpensive pipe, but if you like it a lot, a stem replacement is not an expensive repair. I had an estate pipe fixed up with a new stem, because the old Vulcanite stem oxidized almost as soon as I polished it. Also, it was a bulky P-lip I didn't like. Now it is a snappy tortoise shell acrylic stem and looks and smokes great. So that is an option.

Reactions: Mortamyhr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have a fountain pen I really liked. It was one of the first micarta pen made by a fountain pen factory. As you know micarta is layers of whatever. This pen was burlap or canvas. One day I was admiring the pen and noticed a thread sticking out. Of course, I had to fix it. Got my exacto knife out and give it a little slice. Then little more and little more.. It just became more of an eye sore than before. I kept it to remind me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
I will probably end up trying the CA option in the future. And I appreciate the advice on the stem replacement. I will absolutely keep that in mind if I find a pipe that I really want to get in fully working condition and don’t trust myself (other than practice purposes). This particular pipe did concern me cleaning up. When I said I got it clean to almost new standards, I mean it. The bowl was so smooth and matched the exterior exactly. Having cleaned up a few estates before (sanitizing only), I’ve never come across this. I’d gently get the bowl back to wood, but it was very obviously wood. And never quite get it to an unsmoked briar tan. Obviously, oils absorb and fire darkens. This one was… shiny, smooth and without discoloration. I really don’t k ow anything about medicos, so I can only assume that the pipe was fully treated. Wood just does not normally behave that way. But this also has me in a rabbit-hole of how. And why. Not cutting it in half just yet though!

Reactions: kcghost