PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Today I tried, for the first time, a bowl of Gawith Hogarth's "Bob's Chocolate Flake." Reviews I've read almost universally talked about the soapy taste, or "Lakeland effect." (Lakeland is the area where Gawith is located.) They weren't kidding. From first light, I thought I was smoking a bubble pipe. I don't understand how a tobacco containing, according to the tin, "Virginias, Latakia, and Burley, with hints of chocolate, cocoa and vanilla" has, as its primary note, dish soap. Some folks apparently think this is a carryover from the firm's primary product, snuff. But what the H E double toothpicks is it doing in a pipe tobacco?
The only "hints of chocolate, cocoa and vanilla" appear to be in the aroma, which is completely different from the taste, and quite pleasant.
The stuff comes in a tin which is almost impossible to open without seriously denting it, and wrapped in plastic. It's a flake, but quite thin and elongated, which means the best way to prepare it for smoking is to fold the flakes and then do a light rubbing. It's pretty moist, but not overly so.
But the overwhelming soapy taste is a complete turnoff for me. I'm going to have to give this one some serious aging and drying time. Tune in again in six months or so.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
I have smoked this for several years and have only detected a mild chocolate aroma. This is a favorite aro.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I like the other Gawith brothers Chocolate Flake better. I dont get the floral notes from that. I read somewhere that over time the Bob's will lose that taste. I have a tin aging to try this out currently.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I think its like the smell of ketchup from fermenting virginas. Some people just pick up the taste and some don't.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I don't mind the Lakeland flavorings at all. They were quite shocking at first but I find I really crave them from time to time. This sounds silly but after a few tins I stopped tasting the 'essence' so much and started to enjoy the chocolate and latakia, which is quite well done. There is really nice tobacco under that flavor, which keeps me smoking more. I also like the Glengarry Flake, and in particular, the G&H Rum Flake.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had it and liked it. However, I also prefer the Two Friend's English Chocolate which is in every day rotation. Definitely worth a try if you want something similar.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I have to take the opposite position. I find GHC Bob's Chocolate Flake to be a very fine blend, and I buy it in bulk. There is a little lakeland essence, but not as much as say GHC Erindale which lakeland is very present. Aged it does tend to loose its flora to some degree. The flora, noticeable at first light, also dissipates quickly. I guess that's one of the things that makes hobby so great, there are many blends, for many tastes.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
It seems like the intensity of the Lakeland in Bob's can vary quite a bit from batch to batch. People comment on it online. The first tin I purchased had little to no Lakeland flavor to it.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I've got a tin of Broken Scotch Cake from the same company that I've been holding off on opening because of all the "soapy" reviews I've read. However, I vaguely remember ordering it because one of the members here was saying good things (Foggy sticks out in my mind but I don't want to falsely acknowledge him).

Status
Not open for further replies.