PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I smoked an ounce or so 12yrs ago maybe and loved it,but never bought more. Its the only lakeland ive had and i really enjoyed that flavor. However i just got 4oz more a coupke months ago don't detect any lakeland essence. Bulk bags both times.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Thanks for sharing that piece of GH history.

Bob also has a square cut….

Is BCF the same thing as Bobs chocolate plug? Tobacco reviews says it’s still available but nobody has the plug.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks for sharing that piece of GH history.

Bob also has a square cut….

Is BCF the same thing as Bobs chocolate plug? Tobacco reviews says it’s still available but nobody has the plug.
It’s very different in my opinion, has way more a floral/perfume essence than that of BCF. I haven’t had it in a long, long time though, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt. I would be interested in trying a more recent production. I got mine at an online presence that didn’t store their tobacco appropriately (had several issues with the company in question), so it also could have been a case of cross contamination.

Unfortunately, I don’t think BCF holds up with age that well. After about the 10 year mark, it hardly has any flavor. It’s a pretty light blend to begin with, I don’t recommend cellaring this one. Of course, I’m sure there are people who love it with age, so your mileage may vary.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
It’s very different in my opinion, has way more a floral/perfume essence than that of BCF. I haven’t had it in a long, long time though, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt. I would be interested in trying a more recent production. I got mine at an online presence that didn’t store their tobacco appropriately (had several issues with the company in question), so it also could have been a case of cross contamination.

Unfortunately, I don’t think BCF holds up with age that well. After about the 10 year mark, it hardly has any flavor. It’s a pretty light blend to begin with, I don’t recommend cellaring this one. Of course, I’m sure there are people who love it with age, so your mileage may vary.
Have you been able to source bobs chocolate plug? I can’t find any.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I've seen references to Bob's Chocolate Plug (tobaccoreviews?) but have never seen it available anywhere. I haven't looked extensively by any means.

I did get a 2oz sample of BCF in on Friday and am two bowls in at this point. Interesting stuff, pretty tasty, but I'm still deciding what I think about the toppings. Like it so far but will see if that stays the case.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
How do y’all like to prep this? I have a hard time getting good flavor out of it sometimes especially if I don’t snork or retrohale? I’m guessing I should rub it out finer? Fold and stuff hasn yielded optimal results for me.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
How do y’all like to prep this? I have a hard time getting good flavor out of it sometimes especially if I don’t snork or retrohale? I’m guessing I should rub it out finer? Fold and stuff hasn yielded optimal results for me.
I prefer to break most of it down while leaving only a few strips vs leaving bigger chunks. Even by doing that, I still get plenty of flavor and a long lasting bowl.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
I thought Bob was (is?) GH's chief blender. They asked him to develop a GH version of Samuel Gawith's old chocolate flake. This this is what he came up with and they called it Bob's Flake.
There once was a guy that hated all SG blends and so a little over 40 years ago they let him blend something he did like. The Virginia base with a touch of Latakia and a dark cocoa “grace note” came to be known as:

BOBS CHOCOLATE FLAKE

(True story)

Reactions: yanoJL

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
I thought Bob was (is?) GH's chief blender. They asked him to develop a GH version of Samuel Gawith's old chocolate flake. This this is what he came up with and they called it Bob's Flake.

Nope, we have never had a blender called Bob. We have had the same blenders for 30 to 40 years. No idea who "Bob" of Bob's Chocolate Flake is. Will try and remember to ask.

G

Gimlet

Nope, we have never had a blender called Bob. We have had the same blenders for 30 to 40 years. No idea who "Bob" of Bob's Chocolate Flake is. Will try and remember to ask.
Can't remember where I read that. Sure it was on a UK online seller's site. Looked for it again but can't find it so I'll mention no names..