24 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 cuchulain, and I am actually dating one of the descendants of Bascom Lamar Lunsford (He has lots of desendants up in that area, ha ha), who brought the banjo out of the Western North Carolina mountain tops to the Grand Ole Opry where he gave the world bluegrass. They hold a big Festival there in Ashville for him, lots of fun. And, everyone on that side plays instruments. My girlfriend plays a mean fiddle, lol.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Hey, I'm a born and bred New Englander. I ain't exactly the one to judge on "southerness". Just dislike the Southern monopoly on so-called rural culture and music.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll check them all out.
Ranger - I'm glad you picked up on some great music!
Cuchulain - It's ok that you're a Yankee. We're a big tent down here ;) [I jest.... The South doesn't have a monopoly on rural culture. There's plenty of great bluegrass and roots music to be heard in the Midwest and the Rocky Mountain West. And of course Texas, which isn't really "the South" is home to some of the best old-style country music being made today. I give you Wayne Hancock as an example. IMO one of the best out there today]

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Unless you are dealing with recordings traditional Bluegrass is just about gone. Even the great Ricky Skaggs seems to have lost his way.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I don't really know the difference between bluegrass and other American folk music genres (I am English and am a listener/player of British folk songs) but have always loved this piece of old time American music. The talk of tobacco and rustic courtship rituals is very pleasant to the ear and mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7hf-nBd40

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
Ah, there are lots of British Folk songs in Bluegrass (I just looked it up in wikipedia)...must...stop myself...from posting...my own rubbish versions of these songs...must log out...now.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
There's A Boston based group, called Three Tall Pines, that I really like. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find a couple studio quality recordings of theirs. Most of the YouTube versions were recorded at bluegrass festivals and lack good sound quality. great band, though!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I made the above post on my porch on an ipad, while enjoying a nice smoke. I can't pilot Apple products for crap, so I was unable to link a video. I'm back inside at the old PC now, so I'll see if I can load an example of this band:
Three Tall Pines - "Stone Walls"

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Old crow medicine show.

Steve Earle has a few bluegrass albums out that I really enjoy ...

This song here is what made me pick up a mandolin... Music starts around 2:27

http://youtu.be/mWd-Ld9-eZw

Status
Not open for further replies.