PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Hey all, been looking for a meerschaum pipe in my price range. This one is listed as being block. It looks like there is a seam along the side. Do you reckon it’s block or pressed? It’s also listed as a 9mm which I want. Not sure where the filter would go though.

Attachments

• View Item.jpeg.png
    View Item.jpeg.png
    361.7 KB · Views: 47
  • View Item.jpeg 2.png
    View Item.jpeg 2.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Said.ALTINAY

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Have you checked smokingpipes website?

I usually just buy from eBay, i've had some really good luck finding estate meer pipes there on the cheap, you just have to keep looking but i've rarely spent over $100 for some nice pipes. The one thing is make sure you check out the size of the pipe there are a lot of really small meer pipes out there so you might buy something you think is a great deal and when you get it's a little tiny pipe.

A couple meer i picked up recently both well under 100 bucks.

Sometimes you have to search for a few days but there are usually a few nice estate meer pipes to be had for a good price.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I once bought one very similar at an antique place for a few bucks knowing it probably wasn’t meer. I cut it in half and it was more like a hard plaster than a clay. Definitely not meerschaum. I’d pass on that one if it were me.

You can find a decent meer in your price range at Smoking Pipes that will actually be a meer.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I once bought one very similar at an antique place for a few bucks knowing it probably wasn’t meer. I cut it in half and it was more like a hard plaster than a clay. Definitely not meerschaum. I’d pass on that one if it were me.

You can find a decent meer in your price range at Smoking Pipes that will actually be a meer.
The hardest part is finding a 9mm one as I prefer using a filter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
The hardest part is finding a 9mm one as I prefer using a filter.
I have quite a few 9mm meerschaums. I suggest looking at MBSD meerschaum pipes, and Black Meerschaum. They are excellent people who sell high quality and large sized meerschaum pipes. There are cheaper ones in the estate page of Black Meerschaum. I have two MBSD 9mm meerschaums and one 9mm Black Meerschaum. They are fantastic.

Also, I suggest using www.picclick.de to search eBay on their German platform. I do this firstly because 9mm pipes are easier to find in Germany since most of their pipe smokers use filters and secondly because even if a listing ships worldwide eBay, sometimes it does not show up for me when using eBay Canada. Even if the seller doesn’t ship to your country on a listing, you could always use German translation on Google. That’s what I did. The only bad thing recently is the increase in their shipping cost, which isn’t the fault of the sellers.

Many of my 9mm meerschaum came as estates barely used from Germany. I have four 9mm Altinays from German eBay at a fraction of their cost brand new.

One good block meerschaum is definitely worth the money. Like Bremen Pipe Smoker said on YouTube, they are all completely hand made. I would consider it like buying a nice artisan briar pipe.

I hope this helps and you find a great 9mm block meerschaum! You will definitely enjoy it.