Blends with same tin/room note and taste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I am quickly learning that the smell of tobacco in the tin/container is not necessarily what you will taste or smell once you are smoking it. As a fairly new pipe smoker, this is proving to be kind of challenging in the determination of "what I like". I think that most tobaccos smell good and some smell fantastic, but once I start smoking it the perception changes. I've had tobaccos that smell SO good when I open the container and then the flavor is rather bland/blah. The opposite is true as well. I had one tobacco that smelled like beef jerky, and I really wasn't looking forward to trying it. But once I started smoking it, the flavor was actually pretty good and the "Oh Boy Oberto!" effect went away.
I just tried Stanwell Melange for the first time last night and I LOVED it! This tobacco is the first one I can say actually tastes and has a room note indicative of the tin smell. It was like apricot cheesecake but without the calories. It has quickly become one of my favorites.
So what other blends have the same tin/room note and flavor all together?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Although I'm not a huge fan of aromatics, I do like Melange... it is my go to smoke with morning coffee. I also find that blends with blackberry, such as Newminster 23 Blackberry Brandy, tend to taste very much as they smell in the tin. My oldest daughter bought me a house blend from local tobacconist that has blackberry in it and it tastes just as it smells.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
With aromatics, I think you're always going to find this a challenge. Most are made to appeal to others, with the smoker getting a much different experience. And then you're talking about the unlit aroma versus the burning aroma -- never mind the actual *flavor* of the blend.
To be honest, I think you're much more likely to find consistency between tin and bowl when it comes to non-aromatics. I've found that the tin aroma of Virginias and latakia translates very well to the bowl.
Bob

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, the mileage on aros varies. I have two opened tins of MacBaren Vanilla Cream and 7 Seas Royal that are getting no use because they smell better than they taste ... which is either ashy/chemical or just nothing one bit impressive to want to go on through a full bowl.
Blends like that I end up turning into display pieces with custom packaging and names. I have a jar called "Whiskey Cavendish Cask" (Captain Black Dark and Erin Go Bragh) another called "Shire's Best Pipe" (Hobbit's Weed, Strawberry Fields Carter Hall ... and something else) and "Shire's Own" (Old Toby, Treebeard, Frog Morton). Frog Morton only ended up in it all because I had some left over.
I may have to see what these all taste like now because they've been jarred up since November, except for the "Shire's best Pipe," I loathe fruity aros (figured that out after buying them).

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Hey rmbittner being new myself what would frog Morton be classified in? Just wanting to know also Latakia is that a bled by itself? I thought I read somewhere that you mix some of that with whatever your smoking for a sweeter taste. I could be mistaken. I thank you for helping me in my new found hobby! Happy puffing all!!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Marine:
Latakia is neither a blend nor a variety of tobacco, per se. It's an oriental leaf that has been smoked over certain burning shrubs to give it a deep smoky, barbecue-like flavor and aroma. It smells and tastes much like a campfire would. Today, latakia is only produced in Cyprus; Syria has also produced latakia in the past -- some phenomenal latakia, in my opinion, with it's own distinctive flavor and aroma -- but it hasn't produced any for a number of years. (Some blends still contain Syrian latakia, though, because the blenders stocked up years ago.)
The Frog Morton series is considered something of an English crossover series. They are essentially English blends -- featuring Virginias, latakia, and orientals (with "on the Bayou" also containing perique) -- but they use sweetened latakia, making them a little more palatable for aromatic smokers who are wanting to try an English blend. To my knowledge, the Frogs are the only blends on the market that use sweetened latakia.
Hope that helps!
Bob

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Being an aro kind of guy, Molto Dolce would be a nomination for me as having a tin note, room note and taste that are all similar.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
A few that I think might meet your criteria:
H&H Classic Burley Kake

Savinelli Cavendish

Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake, Vermont Maple Cavendish, and No.191

Gatlin-Burlier Mountain Mall Mix

and, if you like Stanwell Melange, Skandinavik Full Aroma

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Rmbittner that does help and since I'm new I have me a notebook that I put a lot of info in it so I can just flip to what I need to know. Thank you for taking the time and writing that. I want everyone to know that a newbie like me loves this forum!! You all are the best. I love this new hobbie I picked up but it feels like a new LIFE STYLE! I have been loving evey minute of it and I would not be where I am today with out a lot of you on here! So THANKS.

MARINE33-----Richard

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If aromatics are your thing then I suggest Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. Packs well, and tastes like it smells. A Virginia blend with cognac topping. Wonderful room note as well and use of high quality tobaccos.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Planta 2007 and 2008; bilberries and some sort of tropical flavor that reminds me of Chrysanthemum, respectively. Also SG Celtic Talisman and Peterson Summertime 2013, and the Mango Flake from Solani. There's always Ennerdale too :puffy:

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Thank you all for the suggestions. Molto Dolce is already one of my favorites and maybe that is because the unlit/lit aromas and flavor are all similar. There are other tobaccos I like, but I think I could smoke a lot of Molto Dolce and Melange right now.
I also didn't know that latakia is only being produced in one location right now. I wonder why?

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
As a new smoker trying to figure out what blends I enjoy you guys are getting me into trouble. I don't have access to that great a selection locally but the online order I am pretty together is enormous.
I really enjoy reading the forums and look forward to trying some of the mentioned blends.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I know what you mean swmalone. I read about all these different blends and say to myself "ooooh, I need to get some of that", but my wallet can only take so much punishment. And I don't smoke a ton, so it takes me a looooong time to get through a pouch or tin. Luckily I have a smoking buddy that I can share with and visa versa. Still, I have no idea how long tobacco will stay good for after breaking the vacuum seal, so I need to finish some of what I have before getting more!

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I heard that Virgina tobacco taste better than Areo's. Is that really true? What is that 1Q I am hearing a lot about? Is that virgina? Thanks all. I've learned a lot on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.