PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm looking for something like a Latakia/Cavendish blend rather than a heavy English or a Balkan. I would normally just look this up on tobaccoreviews but their include and exclude features aren't working. I did try this at SPC but I’ve tried all the blends that aren't Balkans or heavy Englishes. I’m also open to a touch of Virginias or Burleys (like Constellation).

Any recommendations?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Ordinarily I'd search for blends containing those ingredients *only* in Tobaccoreviews, but that search function appears not to work, and results in tobaccos that contain only Cavendish and only Latakia. Hopefully that functionality is eventually restored.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Not sure if the link will carry over the SPC search terms used, but 8 blends are available with Latakia and Cavendish but excluding Burley and Virginia, including Mississippi Mud, Cross Eyed Cricket, and Peterson My Mixture 965 (plus the match blend).

I'm not huge on English blends, but Byzantium is a favorite. I prefer Latakia more as a light condiment, like in Arrowhead from Paul's Pipe Shop. I hear Squadron Leader is similar, but not a vanilla aromatic like Arrowhead.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
So does anyone know if 965 has Virginias or not? SP lists it as not having any but TR says it does. Also, what's the most reliable source for contents in a blend (SP, TR, or otherwise)?

Reactions: Friendly Piper
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Got it.

So do all tobaccos that go through the cavendish process just get grouped together rather than being separated as burley cavendish, Virginia cavendish, etc.?

You can do the process to pretty much any leaf (so far as I know), but I think it's so often Burley that online sellers rarely bother to be specific. Which is a shame.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Got it.

So do all tobaccos that go through the cavendish process just get grouped together rather than being separated as burley cavendish, Virginia cavendish, etc.?
Yeah, often it seems that there is no differentiation between burley and virginia cavendish, and it just gets labeled "cavendish." I think this contributes to the common misconception that cavendish is a type of tobacco rather than a method of processing. American cavendish is usually going to be burley, and European cavendish seems to trend towards virginias, from my observations.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Sorry to revive a thread, but if anyone else is looking & stumbles on this…

Sam’s Blend from C&D fits this category. It has a pinch of perique, but both the perique & lat are used with restraint. It’s a well-mannered blend.

As a rule of thumb, cavendish in US blends is often burley based. Cavendish in Euro blends, and especially from MacBaren, is often Virginia based.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Sorry to revive a thread, but if anyone else is looking & stumbles on this…

Sam’s Blend from C&D fits this category. It has a pinch of perique, but both the perique & lat are used with restraint. It’s a well-mannered blend.

As a rule of thumb, cavendish in US blends is often burley based. Cavendish in Euro blends, and especially from MacBaren, is often Virginia based.
Thanks for the info! Can you tell me the difference between Cavendish and Black Cavendish?

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States