PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I cut up some Velvan Plug to smoke in my GBD Granitan lumberman, donned a heavy jacket for the 9F windchill, and had a beautiful night smoke in the forest under a Wolf moon. The coyotes are out and about and we had a fox or two on our downstairs patio. It makes me bummed to think about how many good blends, plugs, and flakes I will never get to try or smoke. The Velvan tonight was one of the richest Virginia blends I have ever smoked. It is a deep, slightly to moderately sweet as you burn down the bowl, and has a topping I cannot put my finger on. A very satisfying smoke. It would be nice to still have access to this plug (anyone want to trade some away....). So many lost blends.....

So, it is many months from trout season but I am rigging my dad's old reel with 4 wt to use on a short glass rod for roll casting in small streams. This reel has not been used in decades but has likely caught far more fish than any of my more expensive gear. Just thinking of the first day of fishing will help me get through the next few months of winter weather. I think it rather appropriate to smoke some Velvan on opening day while using a reel from the same time as the heyday of great blends like this one.

134393142_10223532595359946_2309506208375230980_o-SAI-stabilize.jpg

Attachments

• 134393142_10223532595359946_2309506208375230980_o.jpg
    134393142_10223532595359946_2309506208375230980_o.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 5

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I like to think that for every blend lost two or more just as good blends appear. Maybe I'm too optimistic but maybe lost blends are over reminisced. Most likely the truth is in between.

But seriously I thought this thread was going to be about dropping your pipe while fishing. Too much going on while fishing for me to deal with a pipe which is why I like a corona sized cigar while fishing. Even with a cigar mistakes can be made. I can't count the number of times I've burnt myself tying on a new fly or section of tippet. Seems like every dang time I try to bring my knot-in-progress closer to my eyes for a better view... there's my thumb or something hitting the cherry on my stogie.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I like to think that for every blend lost two or more just as good blends appear. Maybe I'm too optimistic but maybe lost blends are over reminisced. Most likely the truth is in between.

But seriously I thought this thread was going to be about dropping your pipe while fishing. Too much going on while fishing for me to deal with a pipe which is why I like a corona sized cigar while fishing. Even with a cigar mistakes can be made. I can't count the number of times I've burnt myself tying on a new fly or section of tippet. Seems like every dang time I try to bring my knot-in-progress closer to my eyes for a better view... there's my thumb or something hitting the cherry on my stogie.
I usually take breaks to smoke although I have smoked a cheap basket pipe or cob while fishing. Usually they go out from inattention and I end up sticking them in a pocket.

Reactions: trouttimes

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Velvan. I have a stash of that stuff and I kick myself for not buying more before it was discontinued. As to fishing I seem to lead the world is catching old boots although I have often wondered about those magnet fishing chaps!
@condorlover1 I've seen people magnet fishing in the canal but the Don Catchment Rivers Trust don't do it. I fancied having a go until I saw a TV programme where someone finds a bomb and it explodes!
Some members of the Don Catchment Rivers Trust take part in fly fishing ? and I like getting my waders on and going in the water for river cleanup work.
Sorry to hear you're missing Velvan Plug, I've never heard of it before. Never smoked plug in my clay before, is it sliced like twist and then rubbed like flake?

Reactions: canucklehead

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
No Dan. It is like a very large Lego brick of pressed tobacco leaf. When you look at at a flake that is in essence a plug that has been sliced up. You can either then engage in the 'fold and stuff' method or you can rub it out. Plugs are made under very high pressure using steam so that the resulting little brick is shiny and very dense and is cut using a very sharp knife. You can buy them OTC in the U.K from GQ Tobaccos or any reasonably well stocked tobacconist. Once upon a time certain shops and corner stores would carry them in the same way they carry Condor but these days you have to look around to find plugs.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I miss Burley London Blend. I have one unopened 3.5 Tin and maybe an ounce jarred.

I can’t say I miss Norwood because I bought over a dozen tins back in 2014.

I wish I’d done the same with BLB. At the time, I enjoyed Norwood a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.