PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Some of the tobaccos that seem soaking wet but don't report using a lot of pg are just using other humectants... some of which are just other sugar alcohols like sorbitol and xylitol.
Indeed. And multiple other chemicals are used when raw leaf is initially processed to bring it to the desired ph level and sugar content.

Reactions: Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just an aside, the PC Midtown series of matches to old time favorite tub tobaccos, now available as bulk samples too, is known for doing tasty versions of classic and some discontinued blends with less or no preservatives, which is notable to those who can taste PG, and perhaps using higher quality tobacco as well. They are definitely worth a try, especially now that you don't have to buy a tub to sample a blend in the series. Thanks yaddy for the more precise data. The PC Midtown series has renamed versions of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, the discontinued Walnut, and others. Certainly worth a sampling.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
for how bad some Sutliff stuff is.. I understand they make the "Match" tobacco products, and every one of those I have tried is great. So I also think it widely varies product by product and brand by brand even when coming from the same blending house.

Oct 7, 2016
for how bad some Sutliff stuff is.. I understand they make the "Match" tobacco products, and every one of those I have tried is great. So I also think it widely varies product by product and brand by brand even when coming from the same blending house.
Sutliff is a brand name that covers many merged companies. One of those was Milton Sherman’s (not to be confused with Nat) line of shop jar goopy aromatics. They still make those. Another line now sold under the Sutliff banner was from the days when Consolidated Cigar had a product range that their reps could sell when they were calling on brick and mortars. The most interesting survivor of those days is 507 C Virginia Slices, which was and as far as I know still is made by Orlik/STG, even though Sutliff is now a MacBaren subsidiary and MacBaren positions the Newminster 400 they make as a directly competitive product.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The only change that I can see is that there are fewer conglomerates in control of tobacco sourcing and primary processing. There was a major document dump that included the US companies around the time of the Master Settlement Agreement. One of the California University libraries has kept that data public in somewhat searchable form for those skilled enough to do the work, which I understand takes a lot of effort. The late Rusty at Christian Pipe Smokers posted a lot of this information, but it has largely disappeared. Someone who goes by the handle Philofumo on other forums has also posted a number of these old blend recipes. He was banned here (not sure what handle he used) some years ago.
I will dig this info up...It seems like I printed out a tome of a document over a year ago but 2 moves have lost it to the abyss called storage.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I find it puzzling that H&H is rated 3 since most people comment on the relative dryness of the blends. The only H&H blends with any PG are the aromatics (and there aren't that many) because the PG is used as a carrier for the flavorings. The rest of the blends contain no PG.

Russ

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I find it puzzling that H&H is rated 3 since most people comment on the relative dryness of the blends. The only H&H blends with any PG are the aromatics (and there aren't that many) because the PG is used as a carrier for the flavorings. The rest of the blends contain no PG.

Russ
I am not rating on a percentage scale. Just perception from 0-10. I rated H&H at 3 which is pretty damn dry in my opinion. But I also think I am the least qualified to rate anything. H&H blends are among my Top 3 favorites. Post was meant as a conversation starter because everyone perceives things differently.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC

Russ
Thanks for the clarification!!! My assumption is that food grade vanilla flavoring in particular is often paired with pg so that it doesn't instantly cook away as it might if it were alcohol based?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I wonder do these British producers such as G&H/S&G and Germain's use PG additives in their blends,,
I don't think they do... but I do think some of their "American style" aros like Ky Nougat and Top Black Cherry have some other kind of sugar alcohol such as xylitol or sorbitol in its place. Traditionally, English companies could only use water, alcohol, and whatever flavors could be dissolved in alcohol as humectants or toppings.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for the clarification!!! My assumption is that food grade vanilla flavoring in particular is often paired with pg so that it doesn't instantly cook away as it might if it were alcohol based?

That is a good point.
Recently I purchased some flavourings for when I get around to tinkering with my homegrown leaf.
PG is listed as an ingredient.

The other humectant used in some blends is glycerine.

Status
Not open for further replies.