Blend of The Month - Anyone Remember This Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
My wife came home with this tin the other day. Made by Kentucky Club, the tin claims it "is never exactly the same," and "it's a variety of different brands all hand blended together".
Now that sounds a lot like what I've seen posted on the WAYS thread; the proverbial jar of whatever's left from other jars, stuffed into a bowl.
In my cursory Internet search, this blend could have been made somewhere between the 40s and the late 60s, at least in Wheeling anyway. It's listed on Tobacco Reviews, but there is no actual review
I did the old sniff test of the tin, but I can't even get a hint of what may have been in it. It just smells clean.
Has anyone heard of this Blend of the Month, or maybe even had it? Inquiring minds want to know. 😁20230304_111626.jpg20230304_111638.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Kentucky Club Match is still blended today:

—-

Kentucky Club Aromatic (Alternative)

This is an ALTERNATIVE. Kentucky Club Aromatic was an American classic made with smooth Burley, earthy Turkish, sweet Virginia and a bit of tangy Perique with an old-fashioned, very pleasant top flavor for an outstanding room note.. MATCH - Kentucky Mix is a more-than-suitable replacement for the original and is a very affordable alternative.

—-

There are many types of Burleys and Orientals (Turkish) but only one Perique today, and even years ago it was likely the most expensive tobacco used in Kentucky Club.

My guess is the makers of Kentucky Club did what Pipes and Cigars still do today with Best of the Rest, except it was light on Perique.

The mark up on tobacco has always been astronomically high.

—-
In the past 35 years, the price of North Carolina-grown flue-cured tobacco has never risen more than about 60 cents per pound, to just over $2.

——

Today tobacco costs something between 10 cents and 15 cents, never 20 cents an ounce for the blenders to buy, federal taxes are 18 cents an ounce, and Best of the Rest sells for almost dollar an ounce online.

Derby Club is about $2.50 to $3 an ounce.

The leftovers, are still profitable.

Reactions: BCF and haebar

haebar

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2014
East Tennessee
There is a similar product available at Pipes & Cigars - "Best of the Rest". There are the regular and English varieties. I recently bought a pound bag of the English variety and am very pleased with it. The package states that it is a product of Denmark.

Reactions: Briar Lee and BCF

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Allow me to interject here: I think Derby Club Aromatic is a supposed to be a clone for Kentucky Club Mixture, as opposed to the regular KC? It comes nowhere close. The latter was one of my all-time favorite OTCs. The top-note was quite distinctive, and I loved it. The clone, however, is a good tub tobacco on its own merits.

Reactions: BCF