PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whilst rearranging some piles of stuff the other day I found a DVD boxset that I've no recollection of seeing before, let alone buying but apparently I did just that back in August 2000. It's still sealed so I've certainly never watched it.

According to the blurb it is the whole 4 seasons consisting of 38 episodes spread over 14 discs and a whopping 34+ hours in duration.

According to Wiki....Black Sails is an American historical adventure television series set on New Providence Island and written to be a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's 1883 novel Treasure Island.

I wondered if it was recommended to me by someone on this Forum but a quick search came up with a blank so I ask the film buffs on here, is it worth watching or does it go to the local charity shop?

1 black.jpg

Jay.

Many people probably never heard of it because it was only aired on Starz. But, it is well written, very good actors and costumes. Sets rocked, and many pipe smokers. I think that as with every series ever made, the makers get lazy as the series draws to a conclusion. But, this one not so much. If it hadn't of ended where Treasure island takes off, I would have really been rooting for another season or two.
It's definitely not a kids movie though.

Reactions: pappymac

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Found the series for cheap on Amazon and ordered it. As I said above, it seems it may be interesting.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well I watched the first 2 episodes last night and struggled to work out who was who and what was going on (it's all rather fast paced) but I suppose that could apply to many long drama series.

I doubt it will be as good as torchbearers such as Boardwalk Empire or Breaking Bad but I'll muddle along and try 2 more episodes tonight.

It was interesting to see so many guys sporting mullet hairstyles :oops:.

Jay.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Well I watched the first 2 episodes last night and struggled to work out who was who and what was going on (it's all rather fast paced) but I suppose that could apply to many long drama series.

I doubt it will be as good as torchbearers such as Boardwalk Empire or Breaking Bad but I'll muddle along and try 2 more episodes tonight.

It was interesting to see so many guys sporting mullet hairstyles :oops:.

Jay.
Boardwalk is an all time great show. great actors, music and visually stunning. I loved Sopranos but loved Boardwalk more...

• Love
Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I ju
I loved Sopranos but loved Boardwalk more...
I just couldn't get into Sopranos, I tried, I really did but was put off by forever seeing that guy talking to his therapist and wondering where the actual action was.

Boardwalk was on a totally different level, as you say, great actors and visuals but more importantly a great storyline.

I really must watch it again.

Jay.