Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ah, you guys are scaring me now, as I have a tin of SG XX on its way right now. It kept being sold out, but I finally managed to snag one. Fortunately for me, I have this against-the-grain attitude that makes me like blends that I hear bad things about. That said, if you guys are brown rope fans and don't like it, we'll just have to see.

I have an unopened tin of the XX as well. I've not opened it because I imagine it's very similar to the GH rope. I'm interested in hearing what you think about it though. I was very disappointed with it, it's as if all the good stuff was cooked away.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I have an unopened tin of the XX as well. I've not opened it because I imagine it's very similar to the GH rope. I'm interested in hearing what you think about it though. I was very disappointed with it, it's as if all the good stuff was cooked away.
Received it and smoked yesterday.
It's quite different. I like it, but no as much as the brown rope. I wasn't expecting the "cooking meat" description to be so literal. It literally smells like a barbecue. When I took a first few whiffs I was outside and I actually thought I was just catching the aroma of some neighbor grilling out. I'm going to review it after a few smokes, but I do think it would be more polarizing and unique than the brown rope.
The taste is nothing like latakia in flavor, but it's similar in that it is a unique, distinctive taste the really dominates the bowl. And you're right, the rope is completely transformed by it; it's not really like there's the brown rope taste behind the other aromas. It's just a very different blend.
It will be a very nice change-of-pace tobacco for when I'm just in the mood for something different.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well I'm glad you like it Beastinview. I'm not going to give up on it completely and I'm gonna try my hand at blending it with other tobaccos to see what I can come up with. Chasingembers has a good one I'm going to try, it's Old Dark Fired and Black Irish twist 50/50. I'm also thinking it might pair well with Brown Bogie 50/50.

I just had surgery on my sinuses 10 days ago and although I can breathe again my olfactory senses are just starting to come back to me now. I'm thinking once I'm fully recovered, I will have a sharp sense of taste and smell... I'm hoping anyway. I look forward to your review of the Black Rope. Which one did you receive? The Sam Gawith or the Gawith, Hoggarth?

Status
Not open for further replies.